108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: vg recreation

SOLVED
Go to solution
yash123
Regular Advisor

vg recreation

I need to increase MAX PV and MAX PE value.
OS version is 11.00 ans 11.11
vgmodify is not available ans only option is to recreate VG.
Please provide the steps to re-create VG
6 REPLIES 6
sangilak
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi,

For 11.11 there is an unsupported version of 'vgmodify', if you have a support contract with HP just open a support case with them to request it.

For 11.00 you will indeed need to recreate the VG, the steps would be:

1. back up all your data
2. 'lvremove' all logical volumes from the VG
3. 'vgexport' the volume group
4. 'vgcreate' a new volume group (using the correct options, e.g. '-s pe_size' and '-e max_pe', check the 'vgcreate' manpage for additional information)
5. 'lvcreate' your new logical volumes
6. 'newfs' to create filesystems on you logical volumes
7. restore all the backed up data

Hope that helps,

sangilak
yash123
Regular Advisor

please excuse for my ignorance for the below question!
The disks already contains data. Is there any option to get data without restore from backup.
what is the use of vgimport and vgcfgrestore.
will it help.
Kindly excuse and explain its use
sangilak
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

The 'max_pv' and 'max_pe' values are set when the VG is being created (in my previous message I made a little mistake, I wanted to mention '-p max_pv' and not '-s pe_size').

vgimport/vgexport and vgcfgbackup/vgcfgrestore will not be of any use for you as you want to change the 'max_pv' and 'max_pe'. This can only be done using 'vgmodify' under 11.23 and 11.31 (and unsupported under 11.11) or by recreating the VG.

For a good explanation on the differences between vgimport/vgexport/vgcfgbackup/vgcfgrestore and its different usages, see the thread below (it will explain why they cannot be used in your situation):

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/System-Administration/what-is-the-difference-between-quot-vgcfgbackup-amp-vgcfgrestore/m-p/4389191#M349951

sangilak

Vivek_Pendse
Valued Contributor

vgmodify is not supported with 11.11.
But, you can create another vg with required PE & PV size; and can use rsync utility to sync the mount points online. Once all the mount points are synced; then have a downtime & re-sync with rsync again & swap the lv mount points. This will surely decrease downtime of data copying.

Thanks,
Vivek
Bob_Vance
Esteemed Contributor

> Is there any option to get data without restore from backup.

Not if you don't have extra, unused disks.

That's what the 'vgmodify' is for, if it will work, to modify the meta information while leaving the data intact.

Vivek's method assumes that you

. have unused disks (not just unused space on disks used in other VGs), which is unlikely,

or

. can get new LUNs from the storage admin, more likely.

Then you could do the conversion with just a single copy, as Vivek suggests.

bv
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne." - Chaucer
Vivek_Pendse
Valued Contributor

This is 11.11, so vgmodify can't be used. So i have suggested to copy with rsync on new luns.