1752371 Members
6075 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: vgchange -c n vg_XX fails

Shawn Miller_2
Frequent Advisor

vgchange -c n vg_XX fails

I create a disk copy using EMC timefinder commands from a clustered volume group. Then import the volume group onto another server. The import works but I can not activate the volume group. I have always issued vgchange -c n vg_XX and then vgchange -a y vg_XX and do not experience problems. This time the first vgchange command fails; vgchange: Failed to set the specified attributes for volume group "/dev/vg_XX. The server I am importing to is also part of the cluster but the copy is not intended to be in the cluster. Any ideas?
3 REPLIES 3
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Have you tried just doing a 'vgchange -a y vgXX'? Does that succeed?
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If I am right you are trying to import copy of a shared VG on one of the cluster nodes. A VG with same ID can not be accessed twice on same node. Try vgchgid command for changing ID & then try vgimport.

Man vgchgid for details.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"
Shawn Miller_2
Frequent Advisor

Devender,

That was it. I have always gotten away without having to do that in the past. However, I think because this server is in the same cluster as the system I copied from, that the vgchgid was critical.

I do plan on going to my old scripts that work and adding that command in anyway. I always had errors but there was no effect.

Thanks for your help.