New Discussion

Re: vgcreate error

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi,

This can happen if someone accidentally deleted /dev/vgxx directory corresponding to the minor number you are trying to use. You may find the VG in your /etc/lvmtab (strings /etc/lvmtab). Do 'strings /etc/lvmtab |grep vg' and compare the VGs against the list you have in your /dev directory. Also, run 'vgdisplay -v |grep 'VG Name'' if your /etc/lvmtab is not correct.

As suggested try a different minor number to create this volume group. If you have a phantom VG in /etc/lvmtab, then you can get rid of it by creating the directory structure with that device file, do a 'vgchange -a n vgxx' followed by 'vgexport vgxx'. If you don't have it in your lvmtab, then the next reboot should take care of the phantom VG.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Dean Johnson_10
Advisor

I have had a similar experience when the kernel parameter maxvgs was not set high enough for the minor number being used even if there were not that number of vg's
philipp_9

Hi all

first thank'sa lot for all explaination.

I passed maxvgs to 100 with sam utility (kernel configuration), create a new kernel and finaly i have reboot. after this i am able to create a volume group.

best regards

Jérôme Philipp