1752785 Members
6161 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

vgdisplay returns no output

Ricardo Tomas
Occasional Advisor

vgdisplay returns no output

I was creating an new volume group with SAM and i get an error. When returning to shell, vgdisplay, and most of the commands don’t return any output.
Ioscan returns the disks as claimed. Vgscan doesn’t return anything. Bdf returns the mounts correctly.
We are making a full backup before of the server before trying a reboot.
Any ideas about a solution or what provoke this strange behavior?
6 REPLIES 6
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: vgdisplay returns no output

Well, learn to do this without sam. Sam should only be used AFTER you have learned the command-line approach for any task.

In any event, you can probably fix all of this by first mv'ing /etc/lvmtab to /etc/lvmtab.old and then running vgscan. Before you do this however, you should run this command "ls -l /dev/vg*/group" and make absolutely certain that all of the device nodes listed have unique minor device numbers or otherwise chaotic behavior will result.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Ricardo Tomas
Occasional Advisor

Already did this tasks by commands.
Also did the rename of lvmtab and verified the /dev.
Even so, no output for commands.

Mridul Shrivastava
Honored Contributor

I would suggest you to check the output of the lvlnboot -v and if it doesn't give the expected outputs then configure the devices and then boot in lvm maintenance mode..

Do check the /stand has rootconf, if this is not present then system won't boot in lvm maintenance mode either.

In LVM Maintenance mode you may have to restore the vg configuration of vg00 and then activate it. If this succeeds then please reboot the system and go to multi user mode.

Please don't try to go to multiuser mode from LVM mode as it may cause so unrecoverable damage to the system.
Time has a wonderful way of weeding out the trivial
Mark Nieuwboer
Esteemed Contributor

Hi ricardo,

It looks like san disks.
Are you creating a new volume group with san disk. If so the disk are probebly not made correctly. Can you give the error message and the output of the ioscan.

grtz. Mark
Ricardo Tomas
Occasional Advisor

The problem was far simple than that i assume.
After opening a call for support, after several tests they finally got it, all files used for manipulating disks (lv* vg*) became empty, or size 0. They are still trying to figure how that happens. I will keep this forum open until
we get an explication that i will post.
Thanks everyone, i will post points when i close it.
Ricardo Tomas
Occasional Advisor

No reply from HP support until now.
Recover the files from old backup and worked fine.