New Discussion юеВ

vgexport vgimport -s option alternative for long device list

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tom Geudens
Honored Contributor

vgexport vgimport -s option alternative for long device list

Greetings and Salutations,
(sorry, Highlander is my favorite film ;-)

I've got the following issue. I recently went to the MC/ServiceGuard course and they taught me an option of the vgexport/vgimport command that I didn't know yet :
vgexport -s
vgimport -s
In a nutshell, when you use the -s option with a vgimport, LVM searches the physical disks itself. This only works with a mapfile created with a vgexport -s.
Also note that the -p option is mandatory in the vgexport when using -s. This is logical in a ServiceGuard environment where ALL nodes need the same volumegroup definitions.

My question. Would this work in a NOT ServiceGuard environment to actually move volumegroups from one system to another (or to the same system where the devices changed) ? The reason I ask this is that I'm implementing a SAN at the moment. The EMC guys guarantee that all devicefiles are going to change. I'm talking about a lot of devicefiles. Which means a lot of searching and a lot of devicefiles in the vgimport. Unless, unless the following would work :
# Creating the special mapfile
vgexport -m -s -p -v
# Removing the old volumegroup
vgexport
*** Implementing the SAN ***
# Creating the new volumegroup
mkdir /dev/[volumegroup]
mknod ...
vgimport -m -s -v

I don't have any systems outside of production to test this ... So if someone can verify this I would be very gratefull (and I'll award points too :-).

Regards,
Tom
A life ? Cool ! Where can I download one of those from ?
22 REPLIES 22
Santosh Nair_1
Honored Contributor

Re: vgexport vgimport -s option alternative for long device list

Tom,

Actually the -p option is not manditory when doing the vgexport. The reason that its included is that otherwise, the VG gets exported and the system no longers knows about the VG. The purpose of doing the vgexport is to create the map file and NOT export the VG and hence the pretend (-p) option.

As for whether this can be done in a non-MC/SG environment...absolutely. I've done it many times to move VGs from one system to another...or to re-import a VG after a new OS install. Works like a charm.

Hope this helps.

-Santosh
Life is what's happening while you're busy making other plans
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Tom:

The '-s' option of 'vgexport' actually results in the Volume Group ID (VGID) being written into the mapfile. This allows direct identification of disks that belong togeher (in the same Volume Group) when a 'vgimport' is performed, perhaps on a MC/ServiceGuard node or perhaps following a cold-install of an operating system on the same server. As Santosh noted, the additon of the 'p' option is "mandatory" in ServiceGuard node construction simplly because you don't want to remove volume groups from a running system! (nor could you, in reality, without having done a 'vgchange -a n').

Remember, too, that the basic 'vgexport'/'vgimport' mapfile is nothing more than a simple list of logical volume numbers and logical volume names. You do *not* need it, as some people presume, to do a 'vgimport'. In its absence, logical volumes are simply named according to the default nomencalature ("lovl1", "lovol2", etc.) as documented under 'lvcreate'. The VGID is the entity that identifies the physical volumes that belong together and can be scanned by 'vgimport' in the absence of mapfiles. Of course, its a volume group creation ('vgcreate') that a unique VGID is first written to a physical disk. In fact, the VGID is made up of the server's 'uname' idenentification ('uname -i') and the epoch timestamp of the 'vgcreate' action.

Another very useful trick when manipulating larger numbers of physial disks during a 'vgimport'/'vgexport' process is the use of the "outfile"/"infile" of pv_paths. Have a look at the man pages for both 'vgimport' and 'vgexport'. As noted there, the '-f' option writes "the current set of pv_paths for the volume group to the outfile. The outfile may then be used as the infile for the vgimport -f option. If used together with the -p option the volume group is not exported but the list of pv_paths is still written to the outfile. This may be useful to derive a list of pv_paths for the volume group or to use on another system which is sharing the volume group and which has an identical configuration."

Regards!

...JRF...
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

You can certainly use the -s option. There is really only one downside and that it if you have optimized your LUN's to use multliple paths when you use the -s method typically the path optimization is lost. You can use the -s import to get the new primary/alterate path for each PV. If you want to optimize the PV paths for each host in the cluster you can then do a vgexport/vgimport using the now known PV paths.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Tom Geudens
Honored Contributor

Hi again,
Just to be clear ...
1. From the manpages of vgexport
"... When the -s option is specified, then the -p, -v, and -m options must also be specified ... "

So the -p is mandatory in this case, right ? Which means that I do need the 2 vgexport commands to get the job done ?

2. Losing the "multiple paths"
Clay, I don't quite follow what you mean "exactly" with this. Will I only get the primary link in the volumegroup ? I assumed that - since "-s" actually scans the disks - he would find both (we've got 2) "links" to each disk to contain the VGID and thus add them both to the volumegroup. I will definitely lose my powerpath definitions (and I am prepared for that) but I didn't think I was going to lose one of the links ...

Regards,
Tom

P.S. Thanks for the quick responses. Points will follow (just want to keep the rabbit away a little longer).

Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Hi Tom,

I am fairly certain I know what Clay means.

If you have both primary and secondary paths
utilised when the export is done, when you go
to import these same disks, you will get the
path that was used for the primary only.

Example:- Primary path is /dev/dsk/c13t1d5
When I go to import this disk again, the import
will only have /dev/dsk/c13t1d5 and not the alternate link.

PV Name /dev/dsk/c13t1d5
PV Name /dev/dsk/c16t1d5 Alternate Link
PV Status available
Total PE 2157
Free PE 749
Autoswitch On

The -p is a snapshot or preview which does not wipe the lvmtab file, /dev/mygroup etc but creates the mapfile.

HTH
Michael
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Tom Geudens
Honored Contributor

Hi Michael,
Maybe a little more explanation ...
The point of this "exercise" :-) is checking how "vgexport -s / vgimport -s" works exactly ... since my first experiment (!) will be in production with a system that has access to approx. 70 disks (times 2 for the links).
To make things even more funny, these 70 disks are part of a range of 150 disks. The system sees ALL these disks ... which makes for a lot of devicefiles.

I know this is not an ideal situation, but I've been given no choice (and no environment to test it either).

If you guys can convince me of the fact / way that this works, I will gain a lot of time. If not, I'll have to search for those 70 disks and add them to the vgimport command.

So there's the situation,
Regards
Tom
Tom Geudens
Honored Contributor

Hi Michael,
Maybe a little more explanation ...
The point of this "exercise" :-) is checking how "vgexport -s / vgimport -s" works exactly ... since my first experiment (!) will be in production with a system that has access to approx. 70 disks (times 2 for the links).
To make things even more funny, these 70 disks are part of a range of 150 disks. The system sees ALL these disks ... which makes for a lot of devicefiles.

I know this is not an ideal situation, but I've been given no choice (and no environment to test it either).

If you guys can convince me of the fact / way that this works, I will gain a lot of time. If not, I'll have to search for those 70 disks and add them to the vgimport command.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Tom:

The requirement to use the '-p', '-m' and '-s' options together is that you don't want to actually export the volume group information from the running system ('-p'); rather, you *want* to create a map file '-m' because you *want* to be able to include the VGID ('-s').

You are *not* going to loose any pv_paths furing 'vgexport' and 'vgimport'. Rather, you have no assurance that the *order* of paths will be optimial following the import process suing the '-s option. That is, if you have situation where exactly one-half of your paths are are one controller (as primary links), and exactly one-half are on the other controller (as alternate links), then it is quite likely that you will *not* end up with this again. All this means is that afterwards you will have to 'vgreduce' and 'vgextend' various pathes to swap their order as primary and secondary. Remember, a primary pv_path is simply the one declared first in /etc/lvmtab. A secondary pv_path is simply the path declared second(arily).

One of the values to using the '-f' option I cited, is that if you know the device file nomenclature on the "sending" and on the "receiving" systems, you can 'vgexport" with the '-f outfile' option; *edit* the resulting file of pv_links; and 'vgimport' the editted file. In this way, in one step, you can specify and maintain the primary and alternate (secondary) links such that a perfect 1:1 balance of alternate links occurs accross two disk controllers -- optimal performance. Since LVM does not load-balance between primary and seondary paths, it is important to establish the balance of IO yourself.

Regards!

...JRF...
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

Tom,

I just went through this exercise this weekend when I wanted to re-connect my directly attached FC60 array through a Brocade switch. Despite what the man page says about the -p option being required, it works just fine without it. I ran "vgexport -s -m /tmp/vg01map /dev/vg01", switched the cables around, ran "vgimport -s -m /tmp/vg01map /dev/vg01" (after recreating the vg01 directory and running the mknod on the group file, of course). It worked like a champ.

Pete

Pete