1753774 Members
7159 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

vgexport / vgimport

Seungjun Lee

vgexport / vgimport

Hi,

We are using SGeRAC for Oracle. The storage is configured with SLVM and shared by two nodes.

I need to create a new raw partition (LV).
I realized that I can't create a new LV by using SAM. Instead, I will run following command from node1;

# lvcreate -n SYSFILE2 -L 500 /dev/vg_rac

If this works, I think, the next thing I have to do is that export the volume group configuration of the volume group vg_rac by using vgexport and import it on node2 by vgimport.

My question is that, should I have to export&import the whole volume group information to add just one new LV info?

I worry that if it would affect to the current configuration on node2. Do I not need to worry about it?

Thanks in advance,

Seungjun
4 REPLIES 4
whiz_kid
Regular Advisor

Re: vgexport / vgimport

answer is u dont need to worry abt it.
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Hi Seungiun:

RE: "...If this works, I think, the next thing I have to do is that export the volume group configuration of the volume group vg_rac by using vgexport and import it on node2 by vgimport.

My question is that, should I have to export&import the whole volume group information to add just one new LV info?..."

Absolutely correct. Vgexport the VG into a map file, ftp the map file over to node2, vgimport the new map file.

vgexport -m vg_rac.map /dev/vg_rac
ftp vg_rac.map over to node2
vgimport -s -p -m mapfile /dev/vg_rac (* -p to preview *)
vgimport -s -m mapfile /dev/vg_rac (* when ready *)
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Wouter Jagers
Honored Contributor

I would suggest to use the -p (preview) option for the vgexport. When not in preview mode, I think vgexport will actually remove the VG from the system.

Also, if vg_rac already exists on the other machine, you'll have to export it there first (without the preview option) before you can import it again through the map file.

node1# vgexport -pvs -m /tmp/vgrac.map /dev/vg_rac

node2# ls -l /dev/vg_rac/group

node2# vgexport -v /dev/vg_rac
node2# mkdir /dev/vg_rac
node2# mknod /dev/vg_rac/group c 64
node2# vgimport -vs -m /dev/vg_rac

Cheers,
Wout
an engineer's aim in a discussion is not to persuade, but to clarify.
likid0
Honored Contributor

Yes, is a must to import on the other node, otherwise, the service wont work correctly.
Windows?, no thanks