LVM and VxVM

vgextend/vgreduce of volume groups shared over 3 servers.

CFowler
Occasional Contributor

vgextend/vgreduce of volume groups shared over 3 servers.

I have something similar to the following scenario on HP-UX 11i3 -

3 oracle RAC nodes clustered using ASM and no hp clustering software

A volume group vgora01 consisting of the same 10 luns that are presented to  all 3 servers

vgora01 consists of 10 LVs of which each is on a separate PV/LUN

I now need to remove a LUN and it's associated LV from the VG. The LV and LUN are not being used

I would normally do a vgexport on nodes 2 and 3 and an lvremove/vgreduce to remove the LV and LUN on node 1, followed by a vgexport -p -m /tmp/vgora01.map vgora01 and then do a vgimport on nodes 2 and 3 using the map file created on node1. The disadvantage of that is that I need the oracle DB to be down on nodes 2 and 3 so I can do the vgexport.

Can I do a lvremove/vgreduce seperately on all 3 nodes without doing a vgexport/vgimport process as I normally do without causing any problems or corruption?

Similarly, if I need to extend the VG with a new LUN and create a new LV on this LUN, would I be able to do a vgextend, lvcreate on all 3 nodes without causing any problems or corruption?

The ultimate goal is to be able to do vgreduces, vgextends, lvremoves and lvcreates on all the nodes without needing to cause any downtime on the VG I am perfoming tha action on

Any advice will be appreciated

Thanks

Chris