New Discussion юеВ

Re: vgimport hangs.....

SOLVED
Go to solution
Girish_17
Regular Advisor

vgimport hangs.....

Hi All
I have created VG vgxx on node1 with one pv /dev/dsk/c1t0d2 and lv lvol1. Then created a Map file vgxx.map and ftped it to node2.
Then on node2 i created /dev/vgxx and /dev/vgxx/group.
Then i am running :
vgimport -s -v -m vgxx.map vgxx

But then this command simply hangs and i am nt even able to kill the process. What could be possible reason.
I am able to see the PV from both nodes and thier H/w paths are also identical.
On node1 i am able to activate vgxx and mount the filesystems and there it is working fine.

Thanks for all your valuable suggestions.
Regards,
Girish
13 REPLIES 13
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

How did you create the map file? Did you use the -s option on vgexport?

Pete

Pete
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Girish,

Also, did you use the binary mode of transfer when you ftp'ed the file over to the second node.

And Like Pete said, did you use the -s option while creating the map file.

Hope this helps.

regds
Kim_18
Advisor

I am assumeing since you can see and activate on node 1 that you want to keep a copy of the volume group there

Make sure when you export, you use the -s
vgexport -p -v -s -m mapfile.map /dev/vgxxx

Ftp to node 2 in binary mode

vgimport -v -s -m mapfile.map /dev/vgxxx

That should work. Hope it helps
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Girish,

If it is hanging and if you are not able to kill, then there is an IO subsystem problem. Check 'ioscan' and see if there are any devices that are failing.Most likely your 'ioscan' may also be hanging.

Look at syslog.log file and 'dmesg' outputs for any errors.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Girish_17
Regular Advisor

hi pete/sanjay/kim,
Thanks for your response but i have done both vgexport/import with -s option so that is not an issue.

Shridhar i doubt the same what you are telling but ioscan is not hanging but i tried doing "vgscan -a" (just to check whether hanged vgimport did something to the disks) it hangs.

Waiting for your inputs!!!!
Regards,
Girish.

ps. Will assign points soon.
Gerhard Roets
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Girish

If this is a fresh install did you check that you do not have conflicting SCSI ID's on the cards.

By Default the initiator ID=7. On the secondary system you must change it.

Regards
Gerhard
SYS ADMIN_7
Advisor

Hi Girish

Seems to be SCSI Initiator ID Conflict .
Change the SCSI ID as mentioned in previous post.
We were also facing the same problem and after changing the SCSI ID problem got solved.

Rgds
Suraj
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi Girish,

Did you reboot the system?. I am not asking you to reboot (in Windoz way) to fix the problem but since there seems to be quite a few vgscan/vgimport sessions in hanging state, you can't possibly run vgimports. All the devices that have issues will be gone after the reboot and you may get a better picture. If it still didn't work after reboot, then I suggest you install latest LVM patches.

-Sri

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Bill Costigan
Honored Contributor

You really don't need the -s option with a single PV. That will scan the all the drives looking for the vg ids specified in the map file. Without the -s on the vgexport and vgimport, you get to specify the disks to use.

another question is, Is the hardware set up correctly so that both systems can see the drive. If it is scsi (non-SAN connected) one of the systems should have the id of the scsi card set to 6 (the default is 7) also the terminators must be correct.

Can you do a diskinfo /dev/rdsk/ on the system having the problem?