Operating System - HP-UX
1753599 Members
6600 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion

vxvm and possible problems with ignite restorations?

Pat Smith
Occasional Contributor

vxvm and possible problems with ignite restorations?

Hi everyone,

My company is looking to move to the Veritas Volume manager and I am facilitating the project. In reading of the vxvm administrators guide and installation notes I see references to non-rootability of vg00. As well I also see that VXVM should not be used on "shared disks" (ala MC Serviceguard)unless you upgrade the High Availabilty software. These are not large problems in and of themselves at this point however...

I got to thinking that there are some pecularities with LVM when restoring a root volume from an ignite-ux make_tape_recovery. Basically, even though the pointers to volume groups and associated PV's outside of vg00 are present after the restore, they are not activated after restore. I am wondering what would happen with VXVM managed disks after a cataclysmic crash of the root volume and the subsequent restore? Has HP simulated such a disaster and if so what were the results. Maybe I am being paranoid are to careful. It seems like a pretty big question hanging over your head when high availabilty is a must though...

Any thoughts or info would be appreciated...
I say unmount and newfs for a bit...It's the only way to be sure ; )
1 REPLY 1