Operating System - Linux
1753587 Members
6623 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

64 bit on a Merijn Pack from the Merijn itrc site..

64 bit on a Merijn Pack from the Merijn itrc site..

Using an N4000/55 I have Merijn's perl 5.8.8 + defined-or + DBI 1.53 + TK 804.027 built with 3.46 runnning in a HPUX 11i V2 os. I've just successfully built DBD 1.19 including the make test with Oracle 10g. This bundle is found on http://mirrors.develooper.com/hpux/downloads.html under in the 11.11 32/64 column.

Is this suppose to be running in the 32 bit or 64 bit mode. I really need the 5.8.8 running in the 64 bit mode with DBD

Thank You
Rich
5 REPLIES 5
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: 64 bit on a Merijn Pack from the Merijn itrc site..

Hi Rich:

Do a 'file /usr/bin/perl' [or the appropriate path to the binary]. Ouput with "ELF-64" is 64-bit.

You can see the compilation options with :

# perl -V:ccflags

Regards!

...JRF...

so if I set the path to the 64 bit way for Perl it will be 64 bit then?? Am I reading that reply correctly??
Thank You
Rich

root@wsmisdb2> which perl
/opt/perl/bin/perl
root@wsmisdb2> file /opt/perl/bin/perl
/opt/perl/bin/perl: PA-RISC2.0 shared executable dynamically linked -not stripped
root@wsmisdb2> perl -V:ccflags
ccflags='-mpa-risc-2-0 -DDEBUGGING -D_HPUX_SOURCE -DDEBUGGING -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -Wdeclaration-after-statement -I/usr/local/pa20_32/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64';
root@wsmisdb2>

Forgot to include the code
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again) Rich:

This looks like a 32-bit version. The difference between a 32-bit and a a64-bit executable will look like:

# file a32.out
a32.out: PA-RISC2.0 shared executable dynamically linked -not stripped
# file a64.out
a64.out: ELF-64 executable object file - PA-RISC 2.0 (LP64)

Regards!

...JRF...

Yes, That is correct. I've just switched the path so that:
root@wsmisdb2> which perl
/opt/perl64/bin/perl

now we get
root@wsmisdb2> file /opt/perl64/bin/perl
/opt/perl64/bin/perl: ELF-64 executable object file - PA-RISC 2.0 (LP64)
root@wsmisdb2>

so it looks like he has both like the normal HP way, both the 32 and 64 bit paths.
Let me rip this out and reinstall then try to build DBD 1.19 all over to see if it takes it.. I did have to do
the swinstall -x allow_incompatible=true -s file name in order to install it. This 11i V2 has some real problems in being on a PA-RISC machine..
Thank You for your help