Operating System - HP-UX
1753781 Members
7400 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ANSI C compiler update and a few more questions..

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mark Stewart
Frequent Advisor

ANSI C compiler update and a few more questions..

some may have seen my other message from last week..

well, I got it installed.. and it seems to be working properly now..

i still have no idea how this got screwed up in the first place, but at least it's good to go now.

Are there any patches I should be adding to this?

Also, while I tested it, I got a cc warning that was strange:

cc:487:warning:Possibly incorrect message catalog

anyone know what that relates to or how to prevent it? doesn't appear to be source code related..
4 REPLIES 4
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

The message catalog warning could be a result of an incorrect NLSPATH environment setting or an incorrect LANG setting. As for patches, without knowing your OS version or compiler release level it not possible to know. It's always a good idea to search the patch database for the latest compiler patches --- and often that includes libC patches as well for runtime fixes. Go to Patch Database, enter your OS, and then "ANSI C" for a search string. That should get you started.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Mark Stewart
Frequent Advisor

got everything up to date patch wise.. any more references on this incorrect message catalog warning? What should the correct values for NLSPATH and LANG be?
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

There is no "correct" answer to these questions other than "it depends".

Issue a locale command. The typical value is "C" --- meaning default.

You really need to do a man 5 environ and pay particular attention to the NLSPATH section. You should probably also do a man catopen.

The other thing to note is that these settings might change from user to user via .profile's or be set in /etc/profile.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Mark Stewart
Frequent Advisor

it appears that another program we use has changed this variable, apparently in a specific user's profile. Not sure that it'll mess it up not to have the NLSPATH set properly for that program, and it doesn't seem to have any more impact than an annoying message from the compiler, so I'll probably just leave it alone. Thank you for the help!