1753448 Members
5858 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Calculating Memory Use with Awk

Vassilios
Frequent Advisor

Calculating Memory Use with Awk

I'm having a problem calculating memory usuage in my HP server.

If you to a ps -efl it outputs everything including the "SZ" column which is the size of the memory being used by that process. Do you agree?

First, I'd like to know when i do a ps -efl, what are the units of the SZ column? Is it in KB, MB?? it doesn't say. Remember at school, whenever we display information, we have to give the units for all information. We go into industry and produce products, and we forget these very simple rules. And then the man pages on the ps command don't mention them either.

Well. If i do a:

ps -ef | awk '{totalsize+=$10};END{print totalsize}'

it prints the total size it added up from column 10 (the SZ column).

But...
when i do a top command, the total memory being used HAS NOTHING in common with what my awk script produced.

Is it a problem with units? Am I not comparing oranges with oranges??
11 REPLIES 11
Don Morris_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Calculating Memory Use with Awk

Roughly -- resident set size (SZ) has some approximations to try to account for shared objects across the affiliated processes instead of inflating the figures. But close enough, yes.

man ps tells you: "sz - The size in physical pages of the core image of the process, including text, data, and stack space. Physical page size is defined by _SC_PAGE_SIZE in the header file (see sysconf(2) and unistd(5))."

Considering I see that in the docs.hp.com version going back to 10.20 -- I don't think this is a recent addition.

So... your awk script is adding up pages. Top by default (and again, the man page tells you besides the units in the output) outputs in Kb. So you need to multiply the result of your awk by the result of getconf _SC_PAGE_SIZE [to get bytes] / 1024 [to get Kb].
Vassilios
Frequent Advisor

Hello, thanks for your answer.

So, what do I need to add in my awk script to compute the fact that it is the number of pages being given. I want to transfer the answer to Megabytes.

Thanks
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Calculating Memory Use with awk

>what do I need to add in my awk script to compute the fact that it is the number of pages being given. I want to transfer the answer to Megabytes.

print totalsize * 4 * 1024 / (1024 * 1024)

TTr
Honored Contributor

The awk program is using 32-bit arithmetic so the suming in awk overflows at 2147483647. (2^31 - 1). It does not error out, it keeps adding but the sum does not change once you reach the above number. At least it did it on my 11.11 workstation. I did not check if there are any patches for awk.

An alternative to adding with awk would be to use bc or dc. I did it using a "while read" loop, I don't know how to do it with inline bc commands. Maybe a bc expert can offer a quicker solution.

I also added a comment to your other posting about "ls -l | awk"
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Vassilos:

As TTr wrote, "The awk program is using 32-bit arithmetic so the suming in awk overflows at 2147483647. (2^31 - 1)."

...and for that reason, you could use Perl instead of 'awk':

# awk 'BEGIN{printf "%d %d\n",(2**31-1),((2**31-1)+10)}'
2147483647 2147483647
# perl -e 'BEGIN{printf "%d %d\n",(2**31-1),((2**31-1)+10)}'
2147483647 2147483657

For this posting:

# ps -ef | perl -nale '$totalsize+=$F[9];END{printf "%10d\n",($totalsize*4*1024/(1024*1024))}'

Notice that Perl counts from zero whereas 'awk' counts from one. Hence the 9th field in Perl is the tenth in 'awk'.

Regards!

...JRF...

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again):

By the way. I think you meant to add the 'l' switch to your 'ps':

ps -elf | perl -nale '$totalsize+=$F[9];END{printf "%10d\n",($totalsize*4*1024/(1024*1024))}'

Regards!

...JRF...
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Calculating Memory Use with awk

>TTr: The awk program is using 32-bit arithmetic so the summing in awk overflows at 2147483647.

Where did you get this idea? It uses a C double.
But you could just use:
print totalsize * 4 / 1024

Or you may have to use printf with a %f format.

Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor

Hi Vassilios,

only a negligible "improvement" which could ease your parsing and arithmetics.
As you are only interested in the SZ column why not simplifying the ps part of the pipe like

$ UNIX95= ps -e -o sz= | awk ...

or even

$ UNIX95= ps -e -o vsz= | awk ...

which already outputs memory in KB rather than pages (see man ps).
Madness, thy name is system administration
TTr
Honored Contributor

> Dennis: Where did you get this idea?

It was not an idea. I used the awk statement from above code and it stopped counting at the above number. Maybe I should have said "It appears that awk is using 32-bit arithmetic...". As I said in my posting it was on 11.11. I just did a "what" on awk and I have PHCO_33916 on it.

I also found this in PHCO_36161 which is exactly what I experienced and is caused by INT_MAX.

<--snip-->
( SR:8606454418 CR:JAGag11066 )
According to UNIX95 specification, awk(1) should use %d as the internal conversion format for a numeric value that is exactly equal to the value of an integer. Any other numeric value should be converted to a string with the value of the variable CONVFMT as the fmt argument. The defect can be seen as:
$ print 2147483648 | UNIX95=1 awk '{ print $1-0 }'
O/p : 2147483647 (This is wrong o/p)
Here %d is used as the format specifier even if the number to be converted is non-integer (greater than INT_MAX).

Resolution: awk(1) is modified to comply with the UNIX95 standards. The above example gives the following output with fix:
$ print 2147483648 | UNIX95=1 awk '{ print $1-0 }'
2.14748e+09

<---end snip--->