4566 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Configure & xmkmf...

Lee Harris_5
Valued Contributor

Configure & xmkmf...

Hi,

This might be a bit of a stupid question, but I don't normally need to compile software from it's source code.

However, this is one of those exceptions. The installation instructions for the source code advise running configure and xmkmf. The problem is that my system does not seem to have either of these applications, and I was wondering what software I might need to install to get these?

I already have the gcc 3.4.3 compiler.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Stephen Keane
Honored Contributor

'configure' is normally a script supplied as part of the source code you are trying to build. If you start in the top level directory of wherever you put the source files, and do a find, you should find 'configure'. I assume xmkmf is also in the source code. Sorry about being a bit vague, but I don't actually know what it is that you are trying to build :)
Lee Harris_5
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to compile netcat source downloaded from hpux.connect's website.

There is no configure script within the source, nor is there an xmkmf. I did a find and nothing.
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

xmkmf is from the Motif Dev kit -->

http://www.software.hp.com/cgi-bin/swdepot_parser.cgi/cgi/displayProductInfo.pl?productNumber=B3394BA

as to the configure script, it should have come wiith the source code from the vendor if they are referencig it.

ps is this the same netcat as http://hpux.cs.utah.edu/hppd/hpux/Networking/Admin/netcat-1.1.0/ which has pre built binaries for 11.x and 10.20 ...
Stephen Keane
Honored Contributor

If you REALLY want to build it yourself!
The installation/build instructions are crap. The Makefile supllied is crap. However, if you do the following it shoud build.

In the directory you put the source code in ..

Edit Makefile

change

CC = cc $(CFLAGS)

to

CC = gcc $(CFLAGS)

change

hpux:
make -e $(ALL) $(MFLAGS) XFLAGS='-DHPUX' STATIC="-Wl,-a,archive"

to

hpux:
make -e $(ALL) $(MFLAGS) XFLAGS='-DHPUX' STATIC=""

then run

# make hpux

You should get an executable called nc.
Lee Harris_5
Valued Contributor

Well to be honest i'd much rather use a pre-compiled version, but the one on the site above is only for 11.00...will this work on 11.11?
Lee Harris_5
Valued Contributor

Answered my own question...it does!

Thanks!!