New Discussion юеВ

Re: Configuring Perl-5.8.9 on HP PA-RISC

SOLVED
Go to solution
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

> I downloaded this depot perl_D.5.8.9.A.BETA1_HP-UX_B.11.23_IA_PA.depot ...but unfortunately it was not supported by my system version which is 11.31.

The link given ( https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/try.do?productNumber=PERL ) offers Perl 5.8.8 or Perl 5.8.9 for HP-UX 11.31 (which is 11iv3). The offering runs on both PA-RISC or Itanium (IA) platforms.

Regards!

...JRF...
mmm_zzz
Advisor

Hi all,
Thanks again for your help,

H.Merijn >> Thanks for your clarification.
This is how I got the information may be I did wrong.
bash-4.0# uname -a
HP-UX .... B.11.31 U 9000/800 ....
bash-4.0# file /stand/vmunix
/stand/vmunix: ELF-64 executable object file - PA-RISC 2.0 (LP64)
I tried the 11.23 but the system said is not compatible.
JRF >> I choosed the previous one because I assumed that the v2 is relevent to the 2.0 after the PA-RISC. I'll try this and give you my feedbacks.

Thanks and best regards for all,
M.Z
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again):

> JRF >> I choosed the previous one because I assumed that the v2 is relevent to the 2.0 after the PA-RISC. I'll try this and give you my feedbacks.

There is absolutely no relationship there.

HP-UX 11.23 (11iv2) is the first release to support _both_ PA-RISC and Itanium servers. The source code is common; the binaries are uniquely compiled for each. The PA-RISC 2.0 notation represents the version of processor chip that the code runs on. PA-RISC servers are no longer manufactured. Itanium servers will run well-behaved PA-RISC code by using ARIES as an emulation agent.

Regards!

...JRF...
mmm_zzz
Advisor

Hi,

I succeeded to install the version V3 but not in a customized target. When trying to change the target the Error: Perl connot be installed to an alternate roo. is displayed.

Have you any idea about how to change the target please?

Best Regards
M.Z
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Have you any idea about how to change the target?

You will need to build perl from the source.
mmm_zzz
Advisor

Hi,
I failed to do so and this is why I started this thread.

in the installation options I found that we can pass :
-x enforce_locatable=false and then we choose the destination but this doesn't work with me it displays :
Could not apply the software selection
"PARISCperl:/home/install/PARISCperl";
it is not available from depot or root
Do anyone know about the solution please?

Thanks for your help.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

To use '-x enforce_locatable=true' the 'is_relocatable' attribute must be true. You can interrogate the fileset with :

# swlist -v -d -s /tmp/perl.depot

When selecting a software source, use an absolute path:

# swinstall -s /tmp/perl.depot \*

...where the '\*' says to install everything from the depot.

Regards!

...JRF...

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I found that we can pass "-x enforce_locatable=false" and then we choose the destination

How are you choosing it? Are you using "@" or using ",l=path"?

>but this doesn't work with me it displays:
>Could not apply the software selection "PARISCperl:/home/install/PARISCperl"; it is not available from depot or root
>Do anyone know about the solution please?

If the packager has made a decision that it can't be relocated, you will have to build it yourself. Or use the existing location.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

I just examined a Perl 5.8.8 depot and did not find any filesets marked 'is_relocatable=true'. Thus, as Dennis said, you are going to have to build/compile your own Perl.

You can verify your depot like :

# swlist -v -l fileset -d -s /tmp/perl_E.5.8.8.D_HP-UX_B.11.23_IA_PA.depot|grep -i relocatable

Regards!

...JRF...
mmm_zzz
Advisor

Hi,

1-These are the two ways I tryied:

swinstall -s /home/source/perl_D.5.8.9.A.BETA1_HP-UX_B.11.31_IA_PA.depot -x enforce_locatable=false -x defer_configure=true PARISCperl:/home/install/PARISCperl

swinstall -s /home/source/perl_D.5.8.9.A.BETA1_HP-UX_B.11.31_IA_PA.depot -x enforce_locatable=false -x defer_configure=true /home/install/PARISCperl

2- But I still have the same problem I explained in the beging of the thread when building this same problem is also reproducable in the itanium.

Thanks a lot,
M.Z