7563 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Creating Excel-files from hp-ux?

SCHK
Frequent Advisor

Creating Excel-files from hp-ux?

Hi,
Writing .csv-files to be opened into Excel is basic knowledge. But if you want to create real Excel-files with styling (different fonts, lines, coloring etc.) from hp-ux (11i v3), how would you approach such a task? Using Java, Perl or other tools? Using style-sheets? I think Microsoft has some .Net utilites to assist in this task, perhaps similar modules are available for hp-ux?
Any ideas and/or experience will be appreciated, thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Elmar P. Kolkman
Honored Contributor

Re: Creating Excel-files from hp-ux?

You might look at the perl modules for creating Excel filles...
There is even a DBD module for Excel (using excel sheets as a database with the worksheets as tables).
Every problem has at least one solution. Only some solutions are harder to find.
Srimalik
Valued Contributor

If you want a full office suit then see

http://download.openoffice.org/other.html

It is available for PA as well as IA.
Never used it on HPUX, Not sure if it is functionally same as the linux/solaris openoffice.

-Sri
abandon all hope, ye who enter here..
rmueller58
Valued Contributor

Is this something that needs to be done in a batch process?

If so, I would look at using perl, there is a CPAN module to write XLS

See Link below:
http://search.cpan.org/~reneeb/Spreadsheet-SimpleExcel-1.9/lib/Spreadsheet/SimpleExcel.pm
SCHK
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for your replies. I'm not sure too, that the Linux versions of OpenOffice will work on hp-ux, but I should perhaps have stated, that this was meant to happen in a program. (Yes, in batch).
A program extracts, handles and ftps the data, presenting the results in a .csv-file today. The user then has to open the .csv file in Excel, and apply all the necessary formatting, every time the gets a new .csv file of this type.
The idea was to apply a 'style sheet' or by other means generate a fully-fledged Excel-file directly from the program - if possible.
Thanks.