Operating System - HP-UX
1751854 Members
5474 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HOWTO compile shared C-libraries (e.g libpng) with gcc that do not depend on libgcc anymore

Lars Holowko_2
Occasional Contributor

HOWTO compile shared C-libraries (e.g libpng) with gcc that do not depend on libgcc anymore

I tried to compile perl 5.8.1 and 5.8.2 on hp-ux 11.23 with gcc 3.3.1/2 what failed like this

cp op.c opmini.c
`sh cflags "optimize='-O3'" opmini.o` -fPIC -DPERL_EXTERNAL_GLOB opmini.c
CCCMD = gcc -DPERL_CORE -c -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=199506L -D_REENTRANT -D_HPUX_SOURCE -fno-strict-aliasing -I/opt/mfgd
ep/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O3 -Wall
rm -f opmini.c
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/src/perl-5.8.2 gcc -L/opt/mfgdep/lib/hpux32 -L/usr/lib/hpux32 -o miniperl \
miniperlmain.o opmini.o -L /usr/local/src/perl-5.8.2 -Wl,+s -Wl,+b/opt/mfgperl/lib/5.8.2/IA64.ARCHREV_0-thread-multi/COR
E -lperl -lcl -lpthread -lnsl -lnm -ldl -ldld -lm -lsec -lc
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/src/perl-5.8.2 ./miniperl -w -Ilib -MExporter -e '' || gmake minitest
/bin/sh: 13992 Memory fault(coredump)
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/perl-5.8.2'
cp ext/re/re.pm ext/re/re.tmp && sh mv-if-diff ext/re/re.tmp lib/re.pm
gmake[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/perl-5.8.2'
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/src/perl-5.8.2 ./miniperl -Ilib configpm configpm.tmp
/bin/sh: 14003 Memory fault(coredump)
gmake[2]: *** [lib/Config.pm] Error 139
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/perl-5.8.2'
gmake[1]: [minitest] Error 2 (ignored)

Turning down optimization does not have any effect.

So I tried to compile perl with HP's ansic and perl itself was built ok. But all the supporting libs I have previously compiled with gcc (zlib, gdbm, jpeg-6, libpng, ...) seem to depend on gcc's libgcc. Building the perl extension modules results in error messages like: 'unresoled symbol __uudiv in ...' which is defined in libgcc.

How do to I tell gcc to compile all the libgcc stuff in the shared libraries themselves that I do not have to distribute libgcc on every machine I install the compiled packages on and ansic does not complain about missing symbols anymore?

By the way: gcc was compiled with:

configure --disable-nls --enable-threads=posix --enable-shared --enable-languages=c,
c++,objc --with-gnu-as --with-as=/usr/local/bin/as --prefix=/usr/local

Kind regards,

Lars
3 REPLIES 3
Elmar P. Kolkman
Honored Contributor

Re: HOWTO compile shared C-libraries (e.g libpng) with gcc that do not depend on libgcc anymore

I think a recompile with adding the object files from libgcc.a to your module could solve your problem, if libgcc.a contains the real functions.
As for the libgcc you need to distribute: it would only be the .sl file you need to distribute...

Also remember you have to run 'CC= perl Makefile.pl' again for the modules you previously compiled with gcc to use the other compiler, because some of the compile options are different for the two compilers.
Every problem has at least one solution. Only some solutions are harder to find.
Lars Holowko_2
Occasional Contributor

Re: HOWTO compile shared C-libraries (e.g libpng) with gcc that do not depend on libgcc anymore

Thanks Elmar,

You are right. That this is a workaround, but I don't like it. Libtool, which is used by most libraries, does not work with a libgcc.a when you want to build the latter. Many of the libraries use libtool which does not seem to be smart enough to compile with a libgcc.a. To get around that, you have to rerun the ld command libtool produces with the manual addition of -L/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/ia64.../3.3.2 -lgcc.

I have to support more OSes and think there is too much fiddeling involved. Do you or anyone else have another idea?
Elmar P. Kolkman
Honored Contributor

I don't have the possibility to check right now, but doesn't libtool support some environment variable containing its library paths?
Another option would be to run libtool with --mode link -R
Every problem has at least one solution. Only some solutions are harder to find.