Operating System - HP-UX
1753618 Members
6131 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Aries Emulation Migration of C, Sybase 11.9 and SQR 3.0 running at PA-RISC servers

SOLVED
Go to solution
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: HP Aries Emulation Migration of C, Sybase 11.9 and SQR 3.0 running at PA-RISC servers

Hi (again):

> 1) Regardless I use HP 9000 Containers or XPADE, the code needs to be Aries compliant right ?

"Compliant" is addressed in the ARIES(5) manpages (cited above) under the section titled "ARIES LIMITATIONS".

4) Please pardon my limited understanding, but moving from 11.00 to 11.11 - is this a OS upgrade? How complex is it ?

This can be very straightforward. I, and others, would recommend a cold-install of 11.11. The installation guide for the 11.11 release has the details. Since you have an L-class, support on 11.11 exists.

Regards!

...JRF...
Rajesh K Chaurasia
Valued Contributor

> 1) Regardless I use HP 9000 Containers or XPADE, the code needs to be Aries compliant right?

Well behaved PA-RISC user space code is generally ARIES compliant subject to ARIES limitation referenced by JRF earlier.

> 2) Are HP 9000 containers or XPADE licensed?

HP 9000 Containers is available free of charge but pay attention to RTU/LTU requirements of OE and support implications.

http://h21007.www2.hp.com/portal/site/dspp/menuitem.863c3e4cbcdc3f3515b49c108973a801/?ciid=8c873e797d6ab210VgnVCM200000a460ea10RCRD

HP XPADE is covered under the support contract for your HP C/aC++ Developer's Bundle.

http://h21007.www2.hp.com/portal/site/dspp/menuitem.863c3e4cbcdc3f3515b49c108973a801/?ciid=247b8b7e14fae110VgnVCM200000a460ea10RCRD

> 3) My code runs on HP-UX 11.0 , So running it on XPade or HP 9000 containers, I need to first move it to 11.11 version , test and make it 11.11 complaint. If and only if this steps works, I can be hopeful that it would work on Itanium. Is that correct?

As Dennis and JRF suggested, directly move HP-UX 11.0 applications to Integrity, most likely it would work. Please note that minimum supported HP-UX version for HP 9000 Containers is HP-UX 11.11, earlier versions may work but definitely not supported.

Regards
-Rajesh

Gd2
Advisor

JRF , Dennis , Rajesh - Thank you very much for your response. You have been a great help.

I would be starting the migration of the code. If any doubts arise, I would surely let u know .

Thanks !
Gd2
Advisor

One final question please :(

Which one should I choose between - XPADE or HP 9000 Containers ? They seem to loosely do the same thing i.e offer an environment so that PA-RISC code could be compiled using PA-RISC eco system and running the code via ARIES.

I also read this -

XPADE - No support for HP-UX 9.x, 10.x, 11.00 and 11.11 object files, libraries and executables.

So, Should Hp 9000 containers is the way to go?
Rajesh K Chaurasia
Valued Contributor

Please evaluate your build environment dependencies and compare them with list of components/tools available as part of XPADE.

XPADE is not a complete replacement for PA-RISC build environment. It's primary usage is for install time and runtime compilation/re-linking requirements of certain applications. That said, XPADE has been used mostly for C/C++ build environment consolidation on Integrity. If you are using Fortran, Cobol, gcc or anything other than HP C/ACC, XPADE is not for you.

If XPADE does not provide one or more of your build environment dependencies, consider using HP 9000 Containers.

Regards
-Rajesh
Gd2
Advisor

Thanks Rajesh.

I am not overly worried about the C code. My main worry is the

1) migration of Sybase 11.9 binaries ( As per plan need to upgrade to 15). I am not sure existing binaries would work at XPADE.

2)) migration of SQR 3.0 reports. These are ancient version.

Based on the above reasons , I think recompilation into native Itanium wont work.I guess due to the same reasons XPADe wont support it too.

Probably HP 9000 containers are way to go for me. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Rajesh K Chaurasia
Valued Contributor

Best way to get started with HP 9000 Containers is through the administrator's guide which provides step by step help on creation, configuration and setup of SRP/containers using PA-RISC installed system image.

http://h21007.www2.hp.com/portal/download/files/prot/files/hp9000/HP9000_Containers_Admin_Guide.pdf

Please approach your HP account manager or support contact if you need assistance with HP 9000 Containers PoC.

Regards
-Rajesh
Gd2
Advisor

Thanks Rajesh.

I have been to doing some reading about HP 9000 Containers. It seems to be a great approach. I understand it clones/virtualizes the eco system of PA-RISC envrionment at Itegrity and stores it through isolated secured clusters and operates via Aries. So far so good.

But the burning question I have is -

Can HP 9000 container at Integrity offer me an environment so that I can recompile my old code (using PA-RISC artifacts) , link it and build the binaries inside the containers ?

I have no reference of this information at the documentation . Can some please help me ?

Thanks,
Gd2
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Can HP 9000 container on Integrity offer me an environment so that I can recompile my old code (using PA-RISC artifacts), link it and build the binaries inside the containers?

Provided your original PA system had all the tools you needed. And you have the appropriate licenses and support contracts.
Rajesh K Chaurasia
Valued Contributor

You can think of HP 9000 Container instance as equivalent of a VM without the kernel and non-availability of kernel mode applications. Since the containers are built using installed system image from PA-RISC, you can continue to enjoy ability to build, debug PA-RISC applications as on PA-RISC. Of course, as Dennis suggested your PA-RISC system must have compiler and tools installed and you should have valid license.

If you visit HP 9000 Containers web-site (http://www.hp.com/go/hp9000-containers) the published customer success story actually refers to transitioning of legacy build environment to HP Integrity using HP 9000 containers.

Regards
-Rajesh