bgawert
Frequent Advisor

HP gcc incompatible with HP-UX 11i?

I downloaded gcc for HP-UX from the HP DSPP website:

http://www.hp.com/go/gcc

I choosed the PA-RISC binaries for gcc and binutils and downloaded these files:

gcc_3.3.2_hppa64-hp-hpux11.11_depot.gz
binutils_2.14_hppa-hp-hpux11.11_depot.gz

Now I tried to install the depots on my HP c3000 running 64Bit kernel of HP-UX 11i (B.11.11), but I always got errors telling me that the depots are incompatible with this platform or the Operating system. My HP-UX installation consists of the December 2001 Release of 11i and the December 2003 Gold Quality Pack. I re-downloaded the files but the problem persisted. Since I assumed an incompatibility with one of the patches in the Gold Quality Pack I did a clean install of HP-UX 11i and after that tried to install binutils and gcc, same error.

Anyone knows what's going on? Are the files faulty or why isn't it "compatible" with a plain c3000 and a plain 11i installation?

Benjamin
5 REPLIES 5
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: HP gcc incompatible with HP-UX 11i?

I just tried installing binutils on my machine (also a C3000 running 11.11) and I have the same problem.

Apparently there is a problem with the depot that was created.
bgawert
Frequent Advisor

I doubt it's a problem with the package because I already asked about this problem in news:comp.sys.hp.hpux and got a response that it installed flawlessly on a K-Class running 11i 64Bit.

Maybe it's c3000-related. Sadly, the support email adresses listed for HP DSPP don't seem to bring any response.

Benjamin
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Yes, the problem is with the depot's HP created. They created them specifically for 9000/800* series machines. The C3000's and all other workstation class machines are 9000/700*.

HP needs to fix the depot.

If you untar the depot (a depot is just a tar file) and look at the INDEX file in the catalog directory you will see a line that says "machine_type 9000/800*". That is the problematic line. If you do a model on your C3000 you will see that it says 9000/785/C3000 with is not 9000/800.

It will install fine on any server class machines (I just installed on an rp5470 without a problem) but workstations will not work until HP fixes the problem.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

OK, if you want to fix this yourself so you can get the products installed do the following:

NOTE: I just did this for the binutils package, but it should work the same for gcc.

1)
# cd /tmp # or wherever you put the files
2)
# gunzip binutils_2.14_hppa-hp-hpux11.11_depot.gz
3)
# tar -xvf binutils_2.14_hppa-hp-hpux11.11_depot
4)
# vi catalog/INDEX ---- Now within this file modify the line:

machine_type 9000/800*

so that it now reads:

machine_type 9000/*

Now save the file

5)
# tar -cvf binutils.depot catalog binutils

6)
# swinstall -s /tmp/binutils.depot \*

Note the "/tmp/binutils.depot" above is the full path to whatever directory you were working in.

Now this solution is probably not something HP would like you to do, but it does work and it does let you install the software on your workstation.

Why they would limit 11.11 software to 800 series machines only is a mystery. It's been a long time since there has been separate code and executables for 700 and 800 series machines.

Good luck.
KCS_1
Respected Contributor

Hi,

As far as I know, there is a installation procedure.

At the first, remove a couple of gcc fileset that you've installed on your system.

Follow this procedure under

# swinstall -s $PWD/binutils_2.14_hppa-hp-hpux11.11_depot

- I think the dependency fileset must be installed before install Gcc fileset.

# swinstall -s $PWD/gcc_3.3.2_hppa64-hp-hpux11.11

do you have any problem on it?

-Best Regards.

Easy going at all.