108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP's Programming Language

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alan Franco

HP's Programming Language

Hello, everyone.

I am studying a BA in IT and one of our assignments is to find out what programming language companies use and why.
Does anybody know who I can contact to carry out a short interview regarding this topic?

Thanks,
7 REPLIES 7
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

Re: HP's Programming Language

The question should be "what language do they use for this particular product" because the answer is "it depends" on what they're trying to do. I would guess the primary language is C, but web apps, for example, would be better served by another choice.

Pete

Pete
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Alan:

> what programming language companies use and why.

If by this you mean companies in general, the answer would be that most don't know and don't care. Companies that want applications and applications' support are often agnostic and/or clueless about the underlying language(s) used by the software they purchase.

Companies that develop a software product will choose various languages that they believe are best suited for a particular purpose. This can invoke holy wars.

Regards!

...JRF...
Alan Franco

Thanks, Pete and James.
Alan Franco

What about HP. Do they use one single language for software development, or it depends on the nature of the function of the software?
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Do they use one single language for software development, or it depends on the nature of the function of the software?

HP is no different than anyone else. It's the latter. It also depends on where the application is deployed:
printers, phones, cameras, PCs, servers, etc.
Alan Franco

Thank you, Dennis.

Do you know of a website where I can find out what language HP uses for some of their products.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Do you know of a website where I can find out what language HP uses for some of their products.

No.
If you have the products on HP-UX, you can use footprints(1) to get a summary for each binary.

The HP-UX kernel and commands are mostly C.