New Discussion юеВ

I need a specific compiler and linker

CDADDY
Advisor

I need a specific compiler and linker

I am trying to find two items:
1) HP C Compiler Version HP 92453-01 B.11.01.00
2) HP Linker Version 92453-07 B.11.33 020617

I have found a compiler Version A.11.01.00 on the HP C release history web page (http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/tech/tech_TechDocumentDetailPage_IDX/1,1701,1255,00.html). Is there a patch for the compiler?

The linker I have not even come close to. However, I see that Andrew Herrmann entered the question "ld error: $global$ (data) (probably missing /usr/ccs/lib/crt0.o)" on Apr 16, 2003 22:02:05 GMT in HP Forum. In the text of his question he mentioned using "ld (B.11.33 020617)". Andrew, how did you arrive at B.11.33 020617??
11 REPLIES 11
Scot Bean
Honored Contributor

Re: I need a specific compiler and linker

Just wondering why you want these older versions, instead of the latest versions / fixes.

#1 IS a patch 'what' string level for the 11.00 compiler, see the far column on the right in your web link? This patch is PHSS_12991. Note that the most recent patch is PHSS_25171, its what string level is 'A.11.01.25171.GP'

use "what /usr/ccs/bin/cc"

to see what you are currently using.

#2 has a typo in it, the last set of numbers is a date, and it should be 020917, or the Sep02 patch for the 11.00 linker. The patch ID for this "release" is PHSS_26559.

B.11.33 refers to the 'what' string inside the actual 'ld' command.

use "what /usr/ccs/bin/ld"

to see what you are using.
ranganath ramachandra
Esteemed Contributor

(i'm in the pa-risc linker team)

that linker is in PHSS_26559 (11.00) & PHSS_26560 (11.11) which were released in september 2002. but why do you want that linker ? if you want a fix that is in that version, you could always upgrade to the latest - 11.40 in PHSS_30965/PHSS_30966. linker patches are cumulative so you will get all the fixes made and released to date.

are you facing any problems with linker versions later than 11.33 ? if you identify such a problem, please consult your hp support folks and file a defect.

andrew herrmann may have arrived at 11.33 by upgrading to it sometime after sep 2002.

--
ranga
[i work for hpe]

Accept or Kudo

CDADDY
Advisor

(Several times I have been asked "Why are we using such an old system"? This is the system, whichever system it is, we need to use, our requirements dictate that.)

It was suggested (above) that we should install patch PHSS_26559.I downloaded patches PHSS_30967 and PHSS_26559 to upgrade our linker and compiler. PHSS_30967 supercedes PHSS_26559. Several attempts were made to build the depot file for PHSS_30967, without success. We got the error:

Could not access remote file "/usr/share/html/C/linker/htmlgraphics/gfx1.gif" in software item "PHSS_30967.C-ENG-A-MAN,r=1.0,a=HP-UX_B.11.00_32/64,v=HP,fa=HP-UX_B.11.00_32/64"

A couple of errors then referenced "C-ENG-A-MAN" and creation of the depot file then displayed "The Copy Phase has suspended", which tells me that creation of the depot file is incomplete. As creation of the depot file continues, I get the error "Corrupt PHSS_30967.C-ENG-A-MAN,r=1.0" and verify fails on "PHSS_30967.C-ENG-A-MAN,r=1.0".

Both patches were attempted (PHSS_30967 and PHSS_26559) and both gave the same errors.

The file /usr/share/html/C/linker/htmlgraphics/gfx1.gif did not exist. Even the directory /usr/share/html did not exist. The /var/patches directory was used as the build area and the file /var/patches/depot/PHSS_30967/C-ENG-A-MAN/usr/share/html/C/linker/htmlgraphics/gfx1.gif was present. This /var/patches gfx1.gif file was copied, via tar, to the /usr/share directory as a work around. This also failed, with the same errors.

The download of these patches had no apparent problem.

Since the directory /usr/share/html did not previously exist, maybe I need something else installed. What do we do now?
ranganath ramachandra
Esteemed Contributor

i am not sure what you mean by "building the depot file" - patches are usually available as shar files that simply have to be run as shell scripts to produce the depot file. this depot is then specified in a swinstall command line.

the fileset you seem to be having problems with contains the linker online help and other documentation. i have not come across such a problem before, i will check with our release engineering team for advice.

what is the version of the linker currently installed on the system ?

--
ranga
[i work for hpe]

Accept or Kudo

CDADDY
Advisor

When I said that I was "building the depot file", I meant that I ran the script file to produce the depot file. Even though the log from the script stated that "The Copy Phase has suspended", I tried to use swinstall on the depot file that was produced, and the analysis phase of swinstall aborted. Since the copy phase suspended, the depot was probably incomplete.

The compiler (/bin/cc) version currently on the system is ├в HP92453-01 A.11.00.00 HP-C (Bundled) Compiler├в and the linker (/bin/ld) version currently on the system is ├в 92453-07 linker command B.1
ranganath ramachandra
Esteemed Contributor

can you list the exact steps you follow to install this linker patch ?

--
ranga
[i work for hpe]

Accept or Kudo

CDADDY
Advisor

After downloading the .tgz files from the HP Forum website, the .tgz files were burned onto a CDROM. The CDROM was then mounted on the system to receive the patches. Both .tgz files (patches) were copied onto the system. The gunzip command was run on both patch files and the resulting tar files were checked, revealing the following files:

patch_manifest
README_hp-ux
create_depot_hp-ux_11
PHSS_30967

patch_manifest
README_hp-ux
create_depot_hp-ux_11
PHSS_26559

The PHSS_30967 tar file was untarred and the script file was then run by issuing the command:
./create_depot_hp-ux_11
During the execution of the script file, the following messages were received:

WARNING: The filesystems in the filesystem table will not be checked
against those currently mounted because the
"mount_all_filesystems" option is set to "false".

* Copying fileset "PHSS_26559.C-ENG-A-MAN,r=1.0" (1 of 14).
ERROR: Could not access remote file
"/usr/share/html/C/linker/htmlgraphics/gfx1.gif" in software
item
"PHSS_26559.C-ENG-A-MAN,r=1.0,a=HP-UX_B.11.00_32/64,v=HP,fa=HP-UX_B.11.00_32/64"
due to an internal error on the remote system.
ERROR: Failed copying fileset "PHSS_26559.C-ENG-A-MAN,r=1.0". Check
the above output for details.
* Retry number 1 of 1 for loading files for fileset
"PHSS_26559.C-ENG-A-MAN,r=1.0".
* Copying fileset "PHSS_26559.C-ENG-A-MAN,r=1.0" (1 of 14).
ERROR: Could not access remote file
"/usr/share/html/C/linker/htmlgraphics/gfx1.gif" in software
item
"PHSS_26559.C-ENG-A-MAN,r=1.0,a=HP-UX_B.11.00_32/64,v=HP,fa=HP-UX_B.11.00_32/64"
due to an internal error on the remote system.
ERROR: Failed copying fileset "PHSS_26559.C-ENG-A-MAN,r=1.0". Check
the above output for details.
NOTE: The Copy Phase has suspended. Check the above output for
reasons.

Since the copy phase was suspended, the depot file produced was missing some files.

This procedure was run on both patches (PHSS_30967 and PHSS_26559) several times, with the same results. PHSS_30967 supercedes PHSS_26559, but I tried both anyway. Trying both patches shouldn't matter, since both gave the same errors. Both patches were downloaded from HP Forum twice and both downloads gave the same errors

Do I need something else installed first to obtain that remote file (gfx1.gif)?
ranganath ramachandra
Esteemed Contributor

i have not been able to get this thoroughly analysed by our release engineer yet. in the meanwhile, i tried downloading the gzip version of the patch and building the patch depot. it seemed to work fine.

it seems to me that the untar phase did not go through well.

is it possible that you are out of disk space and hence this files were in fact not extracted from the tar file? if it were, it should be at /tmp/depot/PHSS_30967/C-ENG-A-MAN/usr/share/html/C/linker/htmlgraphics/gfx*.gif . can you check ?

--
ranga
[i work for hpe]

Accept or Kudo

Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Hi Charles,

Most of the times the error message "due to an internal error on the remote system" during a swinstall refers to hostname/ip-address problems.

Could you check

# nslookup hostname
# nslookup ip-address-hostname

both commands should have the same output.

Regards,
Robert-Jan