Re: Issues when attempting to compile gmake 3.79.1 on HP-UX 10.20

mr_s29
Advisor

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for replying again.

I typed in "make clean" and got the following message:

"Make:  Don't know how to make clean.  Stop."

I did a Google search on this message and one post I found stated that the person was getting this error because they were running the command from the wrong directory.  I changed to /usr/ccs/bin since the response I get from doing "which make" is /usr/ccs/bin/make.  However, when I type in "make clean" I still get the same response.  Do I have to make a "Clean" file?  I am hoping not since the only "make" files I create are to confirm that make is installed correctly on a machine.

Any additional advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>"Make:  Don't know how to make clean.  Stop."

This means there is no "clean" target in Makefile or makefile.  Or you need to move to a directory that has one.

>I changed to /usr/ccs/bin

This should be the directory tree where you are trying to build gmake:

find . -name "*akefile*"

mr_s29
Advisor

Hi Dennis,

I used the find command and it came up with the following Makefiles:

1) /var/yp/Makefile

2) /var/adm/sw/patch/PHNE_20091/usr/newconfig/var/yp/Makefile

3) /usr/etc/yp/Makefile which is linked to /var/yp/Makefile

4) /usr/newconfig/var/yp/Makefile

5) /test3/Makefile

NOTE:  /test3/Makefile is just a simple make file that I created to see if the make that was already installed on this system worked - And it did.  Unfortunately, we need to use gmake 3.79.1

NOTE:  Numbers 1 through 4 above all seemed to be the same Makefile.  They all had the following comment in them as well:

"This Makefile only supports long file names.  If you need to support short file names.  You can either change the targets to match the short file names found in ypmake, or you can modify this file to invoke ypmake to generate the maps instead.  The commands to invoke ypmake can be found below."

NOTE 3:  There is no mention of the word "clean", "Clean", or "CLEAN" in any of these files.  I am not sure how to add this to these files.  I did a Google search on this and found examples but they were all a bit different so I wasn't sure if there was a standard to use.

NOTE 4:  The find command also returned about 15 more results from the directory where I am trying to compile the gmake 3.79.1.  However, none of the files were actually called "Makefile".  Below are 3 examples of what was returned under the directory where I am trying to build the gmake:

a) ./usr/make-3.79.1/Makefile.in

b) ./usr/make-3.79.1/glob/Makefile.am

c) ./usr/make-3.79.1/SMakefile

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>NOTE 4:  The find command also returned about 15 more results from the directory where I am trying to compile the gmake 3.79.1.

This is the directory you need to search, not what was already on the system.

>Below are 3 examples of what was returned under the directory where I am trying to build the gmake:

>a) ./usr/make-3.79.1/Makefile.in

I think Makefile.in is used by configure to build a makefile.

mr_s29
Advisor

Hi Dennis,

1) You are correct.  When I executed the "configure" file a Makefile was created in /usr/make-3.79.1.  It also created a Makefile in /usr/make-3.79.1/glob.  At first I didn't see the Makefile in /usr/make-3.79.1 so I went to  /usr/make-3.79.1/glob and typed in "make clean".  This appeared to work and put out 2 lines of output.  I then tried to compile new gmake first by typing in "sh ./build.sh" and then by typing in "make".  Each time it gave me that same error:

"linking make...

/usr/ccs/bin/ld:  Unsatisfied symbols:

__builtin_va_start (code)"

2) I then tried typed in "make clean" in /usr/make-3.79.1 and it appeared to work and gave 12 lines of output.  Again I tried to compile the new gmake by typing in "sh ./build.sh" and then by typing in "make".  Each time it gave me the same error again:

"linking make...

/usr/ccs/bin/ld:  Unsatisfied symbols:

NOTE 1:  The error messages I get when I run 'sh ./build.sh' and make are not exactly the same but they each end with

"/usr/ccs/bin/ld:  Unsatisfied symbols:

NOTE 2:  I don't suppose you know of any sites that have pre-compiled versions of gmake for HP-UX 10.20?  I tried searching for them but could not find any.  But then again I guess that would be taking all of the fun out of it though

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>>REMOTE='@REMOTE@'

>Are are there any instructions that suggest you redefine this variable to something else?

This says you need to do the configure step first:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/gcc-remote-@remote@-c-no-such-file-or-directory-gcc-no-input-files-332351/

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>1) Each time it gave me that same error:

>/usr/ccs/bin/ld:  Unsatisfied symbols: __builtin_va_start (code)"

Ah, this says you are using HP's <varargs.h> and not gcc's.

If you can get a compile line from build.sh, you add -H to the end and see which files get included.

You do NOT want /usr/include/varargs.h.

>NOTE 2:  I don't suppose you know of any sites that have pre-compiled versions of gmake for HP-UX 10.20?

Consulting the tag cloud for "10.20" gives:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/tag/10.20/tg-p/category-id/itrc-117

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Languages-and-Scripting/Will-webalizer-binary-for-11-00-execute-on-10-20/m-p/3318099#U3318105

Merijn's website is still there.  Perhaps his gcc actually works?

mr_s29
Advisor

Hi Dennis,

I actually downloaded the gcc 2.95.3 package from Merjin's website.  I am going to download gcc 3.2 from that website.  The packages you can download for HP-UX 10.20 are not software depots.  They are just bzipped tarballs that I unpack in the /usr directory.  For the gcc 2.95.3, it then created a folder called "pa20_32".  If I do a "which gcc", the response is "/usr/pa20_32/bin/gcc" so I know it is installed.  If I want to delete the gcc 2.95.3 from the HP-UX 10.20 machine, do I simply do an rm -rf on /usr/pa20_32?

Thanks for your assistance.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>They are just bzipped tarballs that I unpack in the /usr directory.  For the gcc 2.95.3, it then created a folder called "pa20_32".

(No wonder I didn't recognize it as official.  Probably better to put into /usr/local/.)

>If I want to delete the gcc 2.95.3 from the HP-UX 10.20 machine, do I simply do an rm -rf on /usr/pa20_32?

Yes.  If you don't do swinstall, then rm should work.

>Thanks for your assistance.

If you are happy with the answers, please click on the Kudos stars.

mr_s29
Advisor

Hi Dennis,

Thank you very much for your help through this process.  I found a working version of gmake 3.79.1 on an old HP-UX 10.20 machine that we had.  I transferred that gmake to this machine and it is now working.  Sorry, I didn't think of that earlier.  Thanks again for your help.