1753449 Members
5908 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Motif-based application crashes

Nivel
Frequent Advisor

Motif-based application crashes

I am updating a motif-based application (on a HP C8000, HP-UX 11.11, Motif 2.1), which is basically a set of gui screens. The application occasionally crashes when switching gui screens (ie. when destroying widgets and creating a new work area). gdb reveals that this is caused by a Motif function DetectAllClippers, when it is calling either DetectAncestorClippers or IntersectWithWidgetAncestors. In both cases the stack trace shows 21 levels of recursion. Has anyone got any ideas?
5 REPLIES 5
Nivel
Frequent Advisor

Re: Motif-based application crashes

I have also discovered that I have version 2.1.0 of Motif on my system. I have found some advice on tinternet that DetectAncestorClippers has a problem in use, and that the recommended solution is that Motif version greater than 2.1.10 needs to be used. There is a patch available for Motif version 2.1.30 - I'll try this!
Nivel
Frequent Advisor

It is not clear from HP documentation what version of Motif is included in the bundles available. B3394BA contains X11MotifDevKit version B.11.11.02 - it appears that my system already had this version installed. Presumably therefore B3394BA contains version 2.1.0 of Motif after all. Does anyone know any different?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

A quick search for "Motif" in patch database delivers a lot of results, so I would suggest to run a patch session on ITRC first.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Nivel
Frequent Advisor

I ran a patch session, which concluded with the installation of several new patches on my C8000. However, the original problem (that my Motif-based application crashes occasionally) has not been rectified. I would rather be able to install a new version of Motif, but there do not seem to be any suitable bundles for HP-UX 11.11.
Nivel
Frequent Advisor

I haven't managed to find a solution for this problem, but have managed to discover more about the contributary factors. Therefore I am closing this thread and opening a new one.