108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: My awking buddies.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Belinda Dermody
Super Advisor

My awking buddies.

I am trying to use the current MM DD variable with a awk command within a script, extracting current days sudo usage, each entry is two lines.

I get the following to work but the date is hard coded.
awk '/Nov 10/ {print $0; for (i=1;i<2;i++) {getline;print $0; } }' /var/log/sudo.log

I want to set the date for each run with the CDATE=`date "+%b %d"` and beable to use the $CDATE instead of Nov 10 as above.
14 REPLIES 14
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Try:

awk '/'"$CDATE"'/ {print $0; for (i=1;i<2;i++) {getline;print $0; } }' /var/log/sudo.log

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor
Solution

Here is a script that I wrote a few years ago. I believe it is doing what you want.
Modify for your use and preferences.

Note; Later versions of the sudo.log have a different layout of the file. The result is that this script will pull values that are no longer in this position.

Belinda Dermody
Super Advisor

Geoff I have already tried that, the preceeding ' nullifies all the special characters so the $ is not translated..
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

James:

One way:

# CDATE1=`date +%b`
# CDATE2=`date +%d`
# awk $1~CDATE1 && $2~CDATE2 {print $0;for (i=1;i<2;i++) {getline;print $0;}}' CDATE1=${CDATE1} CDATE2=${CDATE2} /var/log/sudo.log

You will need to change $1 and $2 to match the actual field numbers in you record.

Regards!

...JRF...
Belinda Dermody
Super Advisor

Jim, good to hear from you again, I get the good ole bail out in awk using your suggestion. See the attached word doc...
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again) James:

Sorry, looks like I transposed a "'". Try:

# awk '$1~CDATE1 && $2~CDATE2 {print $0; for (i=1;i<2;i++) {getline;print $0;}}' CDATE1=${CDATE1} CDATE2=${CDATE2} /var/log/sudo.log

Regards!

...JRF...
Sandman!
Honored Contributor

How about...

# CDATE=`date "+%b %d"`

# awk '$0 ~ cdt {print $0;for(i=1;i<2;i++) {getline;print $0}}' cdt="$CDATE" /var/log/sudo.log

cheers!
Belinda Dermody
Super Advisor

Still getting bailouts
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi James:

My second post seems to work in my hands if I cut-and-paste from this site. Are you still getting syntax errors? No points if "yes" and/or at your discretion.

Regards!

...JRF...