5029 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Password history inquiry in Trusted System

Juan M Rodriguez
Occasional Contributor

Password history inquiry in Trusted System

Hello,

I am trying to figure out from C how to query the password history in a Trusted system in HP-UX. In Tru64, using getprpwent() the espw_field structure has a char *fd_pwdict which is a pointer to the password history dictionary, which you can use to check if the new password doesn't match the history rules. However, in HP-UX using getprpwent() the pr_field structure doesn't seem to have any element to access the password history for the user.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,

Juan Miguel Rodriguez
5 REPLIES 5
Steve Steel
Honored Contributor

Hi

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=62625

May help

Steve Steel
If you want truly to understand something, try to change it. (Kurt Lewin)
Juan M Rodriguez
Occasional Contributor

Hmm..

thanks. I had already looked at that, but it provides no info on how to check the password history.

Juan Miguel
Steve Steel
Honored Contributor

Hi

Is it set up

Password History Feature on Trusted Systems

Password history is a new trusted-system feature of the passwd command, used to discourage users from re-using previously used passwords.
The system administrator enables the system-wide password history feature by creating (or opening, if it already exists) a file called /etc/default/security and appending an entry:

PASSWORD_HISTORY_DEPTH=number
Depending on the value of number (decimal integer from 1 through 10), the system checks the user's new password against that number of previously used passwords and prevents their usage. (For example, if number=5, the system will not allow a user to use any of the last five passwords he or she has previously used.)
Structurally, the password history feature is accomplished by a shared library, called libpam_unix.1, which is dynamically loaded at run time by the command. This structural characteristic is totally transparent to users; the end-user interface of the command is unchanged.

For further information, consult the passwd(1) manpage.

See
http://docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/fsearch/framedisplay?top=/hpux/onlinedocs/5187-1361/5187-1361_top.html&con=/hpux/onlinedocs/5187-1361/00/01/120-con.html&toc=/hpux/onlinedocs/5187-1361/00/01/120-toc.html&searchterms=passwd%7chistory%7ctrusted&queryid=20041203-074404

steve Steel
If you want truly to understand something, try to change it. (Kurt Lewin)
Juan M Rodriguez
Occasional Contributor

Thanks,

are you suggesting that what I am asking can not be done? That the passwd command is the only one that can do this? Reading it I see that passwd uses PAM, which, in theory, I could use as well. Now, the problem is that our application is a 64bit application, and PAM in HP-UX 11.11 (PA-RISC) is strictly 32bit, so we can't use it from a 64bit app. In HP-UX 11i v2 PAM is 64bit in PA and IPF, but we can't force people to switch to the new OS at the drop of a hat.

So, my question remains: Can you from a C program check the password history for an user programatically in an HP-UX Trusted system?

Thanks,

Juan Miguel
John Kittel
Trusted Contributor

I don't know how to do what you are asking, but perhaps this can help you a little bit... the history is stored in /tcb/files/auth/system/pwhist/.