108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Porting from HP-UX PA-RISC (LP64) to IA 64

SOLVED
Go to solution
ShivS
Frequent Advisor

Porting from HP-UX PA-RISC (LP64) to IA 64

Hi, I have a large C++ source code on HP UX 9000/800 machine. The code is compiled as PA-RISC (LP64). Now my development group is planning to buy new HP UX Itanium machines. I have the following questions:
1. My current source code using many 3rd party libraries like Oracle, Xerces, Tuxedo 8.1 all of which are currently PA-RISC (LP64). Will my current PA-RISC (LP64) binaries (executables) run as is on the Itanium machine?

2) If the binaries run as is on the Itanium machine, will there be any performance issues? If yes, what steps should I take to get the best performance on IA machine?

3) If I have to recompile my source code, do I have to recompile the source code of all the 3rd party libraries? In this case what aCC compiler options should I be taking care off?

4) Please provide other misc information which I will have to keep in mind for this porting.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Shiv
15 REPLIES 15
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>1) Will my current PA-RISC (LP64) binaries run as is on the Integrity machine?

If they are not kernel intrusive, they should run under Aries. Provided you have the right to copy those libs to your IPF machine.

>2) If the binaries run as is on the Integrity machine, will there be any performance issues?

Yes. If CPU intensive, they will slow down. If I/O intensive, you may not notice it.

>If yes, what steps should I take to get the best performance on IA machine?

Compile natively of course with aCC6.

>3) If I have to recompile my source code, do I have to recompile the source code of all the 3rd party libraries?

Yes. Or have them provide native IPF versions.

>In this case what aCC compiler options should I be taking care of?

You would want to port to using -AA, to match the default.

>4) Please provide other misc information which I will have to keep in mind for this porting.

You are doing 3 ports at once:
1) PA to IPF.
2) aCC3 to aCC6
3) -AP to -AA

For 2) and 3):
http://h21007.www2.hp.com/portal/site/dspp/menuitem.863c3e4cbcdc3f3515b49c108973a801/?ciid=2708d7c682f02110d7c682f02110275d6e10RCRD
http://h21007.www2.hp.com/portal/site/dspp/menuitem.863c3e4cbcdc3f3515b49c108973a801/?ciid=eb08b3f1eee02110b3f1eee02110275d6e10RCRD

Also see:
http://www.hp.com/go/cpp
http://www.hp.com/go/aries
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

As for perfomance, the Aries manpages offer some benchmark data as well as other valuable information:

http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-60130/Aries.5.html

Regards!

...JRF...
ShivS
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Thank you very much for the answering my questions. I came across one more problem. My PA-RISC build application is using the unix "tr" command in the C++ code as follows:

----------------------
sprintf(xmlFileName, "%s.xml", fname);

sprintf(shCommand, "tr -d \"\012\" < %s > %s", fname, xmlFileName);

int retVal = system (shCommand);
----------------------
Here fname is "SomeFile.out". This .out file contains xml data. The above piece of code is used to remove the new line from this .out file. When I run this PA-RISC (HP-UX B.11.11 U 9000/800) code on the ITANIUM machine (HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 0409362437) the problem with the "tr" command is it runs sometimes and fails in some other runs. The interesting thing is when I run this command on the command line using the same SomeFile.out file, it just runs fine and it never fails.

So my questions are:
1) Are there any system parameters that I need to set for the "tr" command to work properly.

2) Is is possible that the system() call is causing some problems?

3) Is it possible that not everything will run perfectly fine in the emulation mode, which further means that I will have to compile the code on Itanium box?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,
Shiv

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Shiv:

> 1) Are there any system parameters that I need to set for the "tr" command to work properly.

No.

> 2) Is is possible that the system() call is causing some problems?

I seriously doubt that.

> 3) Is it possible that not everything will run perfectly fine in the emulation mode, which further means that I will have to compile the code on Itanium box?

For the case you cite, I don't think you should have a problem. I suspect that your anamolous results are *data* dependent, and not code-dependent.

Regards!

...JRF...
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> [...] it runs sometimes and fails in some
> other runs.

What does "fails" mean here? What is
"retVal" when it fails? Is the output file
created? What's in it? What happens? As
usual, "fails" is not a useful problem
description.
ShivS
Frequent Advisor

Hi Steven,

Somefile.out contains xml data as shown in the sample below:

Note that in the above sample, each start element begins on a new line.

After running this file through the "tr" command, the "tr" command should generate the file Somefile.out.xml containing the data as shown below (Note that the new lines are to be removed by the "tr" command here):

By "fail", I mean that the Somefile.out.xml file is not created, which indicates that the "tr" command failed to process the input file Somefile.out

The retVal value is -1 when the Somefile.out.xml is not created and it is 0 when it is created.

Regards,
Shiv
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> The retVal value is -1 [...]

"man system":

[...] If a child process cannot be
created, or if the termination status
for the command language interpreter
cannot be obtained, system() returns
-1 and sets errno to indicate the
error.
[...]

So, what's "errno"?

For that matter, do we know what's really in
"shCommand", or are we asuming that it's all
what we expect it to be?
Laurent Menase
Honored Contributor

check the errno, but usually it is a problem of PATH.

It is usually better to set the full path when you call system() for a command else it could be a security issue.

so try /usr/bin/tr
Else only errno can help in finding the root cause.

ShivS
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

The tr command in the log file looks like:
--------------------
shCommand=tr -d "
" < /tfsw/ocp/temp/API12879_1000.out > /tfsw/ocp/temp/API12879_1000.out.xml

--------------------

I printed the errno immediately after the system() call to run the above given command and it gives the following:

errno(12) strerror(Not enough space)

When I run the "ls -l" on the above files, the retVal from the system() call for both the input and output files is -1 and the errno is 12!!

I checked that the input file /tfsw/ocp/temp/API12879_1000.out is present and is of 153596 bytes.

Also, the "df -k ." command under the /tfsw/ocp/temp directory gives the following :

/tfsw (/dev/vg03/lvol3 ) : 123242977 total allocated Kb
38282738 free allocated Kb
84960239 used allocated Kb
68 % allocation used

So, this indicates that there is enough space available and the final file /tfsw/ocp/temp/API12879_1000.out.xml will certainly be smaller than 153596 bytes in size.

So, then where is the problem?

Regards,
Shiv