1748219 Members
4241 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problem compiling with gcc on 11i

Michael Simone
Frequent Advisor

Problem compiling with gcc on 11i

I think this is a problem with gcc on HPUX 11i. I'm trying to ultimately compile DBI, DBD-Oracle, Apache 2.0.51, mod_perl2, etc. This is on an rp5470 running 11.11.

I'm using the gcc 3.3.3/binutils 2.15 from the HP DSPP (the depots), and a Perl 5.8.1 from H Merijn's site.

When I try to compile DBD-Oracle, the make produces this output:
gcc -c -I/u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/rdbms/demo -I/u01/app/oracle/pro
duct/8.1.7/rdbms/public -I/u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/plsql/public -I/u01/app/
oracle/product/8.1.7/network/public -I/u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/rdbms/demo -
I/u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/rdbms/public -I/u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/rdbm
s/demo -I/opt/perl/lib/site_perl/5.8.1/PA-RISC2.0/auto/DBI -mpa-risc-2-0 -D_HPU
X_SOURCE -DDEBUGGING -fno-strict-aliasing -I/pro/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOUR
CE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -g -O -DVERSION=\"1.15\" -DXS_VERSION=\"1.15\" -fP
IC "-I/opt/perl/lib/5.8.1/PA-RISC2.0/CORE" -DUTF8_SUPPORT Oracle.c
In file included from /opt/perl/lib/5.8.1/PA-RISC2.0/CORE/perl.h:709,
from /opt/perl/lib/site_perl/5.8.1/PA-RISC2.0/auto/DBI/DBIXS.h:
from Oracle.h:18,
from Oracle.xs:1:
/usr/include/sys/socket.h:64: error: conflicting types for `sbsize_t'
/web/local/lib/gcc-lib/hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.11/3.3.3/include/sys/types.h:196: erro
r: previous declaration of `sbsize_t'
/usr/include/sys/socket.h:65: error: conflicting types for `bsize_t'
/web/local/lib/gcc-lib/hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.11/3.3.3/include/sys/types.h:197: erro
r: previous declaration of `bsize_t'
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.

This also occurred when I tried to rebuild DBI, same type of message indicating previous declaration of bsize_t.

There was an older version of gcc and perl on this machine earlier, but I uninstalled them. Am I using the wrong version of gcc or gmake or something?

Any help would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
H.Merijn Brand (procura
Honored Contributor

Re: Problem compiling with gcc on 11i

It's not the same message tha triggers me to tell people to install the right gcc. You probably did.

FWIW the latest versions you can get from my site are perl-5.8.5 (including DBI-1.43) and gcc-3.4.2.

I more suspect a strange incompatibility with the standard include files, as if the patchlevel of HP-UX is rather old, or you didn't have recent enough include files installed.

I think/suspect you did not use the gcc from that depot to build gcc from scratch again, which is - in most cases) the best way to make gcc adopt to your particular system, and /almost/ guarantees the absence of problems you are facing.

The only thing I can add here for now, is to not even start thinking of compiling DBD-Oracle if DBI still has problems.

Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn
Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn
ranganath ramachandra
Esteemed Contributor

if i remember correctly, someone had the same problem by installing 11.00 gcc on 11.11 or vice versa.

--
ranga
[i work for hpe]

Accept or Kudo

Michael Simone
Frequent Advisor

Looks like it was a patching issue of some sort. I ran a patch analysis, installed the Gold Bundle and the other dozen patches suggested, then started clean with Procura's Perl 5.8.1 and gcc, then was able to build DBI and DBD again. So far so good.

Thanks for the suggestions. As soon as the system's available again, I'll assign some points. (Crossing my fingers on the Apache installation).