1748000 Members
5034 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Problem with transferring CMS library from Alpha to Integrity

Mark miller_14
Occasional Contributor

Problem with transferring CMS library from Alpha to Integrity

We are moving a CMS  library between a Alpha and Integrity server. Both servers are running OpenVMS 8.4 and CMS version 4.5. Prior to the transfer "CMS Verify" was run to check the status of the library. The library then transferred using backup, and restore on the Integrity server We again run "CMS Verify" run the Integrity server to check the status. As a final check we did a simple "cms show history" then we noticed the history was not same. We have run difference between the "*.HIS" files between both servers and no difference were found. The number and files size were check and no issues were found. Finally ran "CMS SHOW library/FULL" on both servers and again no difference were found.

Update...

More detail checks we have found that after the transfer CMS is not displying "Create", "Fetch", or "Verify" history records on the elements in the library.

Any ideas as to why we are see a difference in the history.  

7 REPLIES 7
John McL
Trusted Contributor

Re: Problem with transferring CMS library from Alpha to Integrity

Are the records displayed if you explicitly specify that you want to see them, i.e. if you use /TRANSACTION=(CREATE,FETCH,VERIFY) ?

Mark miller_14
Occasional Contributor

If I use "/trans=create" I get the "create" records plus all other history records.  On the Alpha box that command gives me just the "create" records only".

The command "/trans=all" does not show all the transactions either.

If I use "/trans=create" it looks like the tranfser between the servers is correct, it just that  CMS on the Integrity server has issue with displaying the records correctly.

H.Becker
Honored Contributor

Looks like a bug in CMS for I64. There are more commands which aren't listed with SHOW HISTORY, for example INSERT. The bug also shows in CMS libraries created on I64.  This affects my  tool which uses the history output to create a git repository (on a non-VMS system) from  a CMS library.

There seems to be a workaround: SHOW HISTORY /NOTRANSACTIONS.

Did you report this to HP and did you get any feedback?

Mark miller_14
Occasional Contributor

No, I have not as of yet reported this to HP. I will be as soon

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

John McL
Trusted Contributor

This says a lot about HP's testing. 

Wouldn't you think that the correct functioning of CMS History would be rather important to users?

John Reagan
Respected Contributor

I'll guess (but I don't know) that a CMS test system involves creating a new library, doing all sorts of commands, and checking the history.  Testing the ability to "import" a history file from another system is less common and perhaps not tested as well.  I'm surprised that the format is different.  I wonder if it works correctly in a mixed-architecture cluster with shared storage?