108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Untarring GCC 4.8.1 - LongLink file

SOLVED
Go to solution
Paul Maglinger
Regular Advisor

Untarring GCC 4.8.1 - LongLink file

Our developers want me to install the latest gcc compiler for HP-UX 11.31.  After going out to the HP Porting and Archving Center the latest version that I see there is 4.2.3.  The developers told me the latest and greatest is 4.8.1.  I went to gcc.gnu.org, downloaded the latest version, but when I try to untar it stops and has a file name in the directory called @LongLink.  I understand that this is caused by a limitation of tar that a filename can not be longer than 256 characters.

Can anyone offer a suggestion on how to work around this or, if there is no workaround, point me to a version that I can use?

Paul

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP-UX > System Administration to HP-UX > languages - HP Forum Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

GCC 4.7.2 is available from here:

http://mirrors.develooper.com/hpux/downloads.html

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to see it.

It appears this was built on an Itanium system, so if you happen to be running a PA-RISC based server this may not work for you.

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

The "@LongLink" happens because the software at gcc.gnu.org is packaged using GNU tar instead of the standard HP-UX tar. You could untar it without errors if you first install the GNU tar and use it instead of the standard tar command. It is available at the Porting and Archiving Center.

MK
Paul Maglinger
Regular Advisor

Thanks Matti, that was perfect. Patrick's suggestion might have worked but the developers really preferred that I install 4.8.1.
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor