108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Why is /usr/lib/hpux32 used?

SOLVED
Go to solution
VAS_1
Frequent Advisor

I removed the original CBL compiler install and reinstalled as 32-bit option. I still receive a library error if I have the GNUBase utilities installed. I have to think about this one....

Sandman!
Honored Contributor

>I removed the original CBL compiler install and reinstalled as 32-bit option. I >still receive a library error if I have the GNUBase utilities installed. I have to >think about this one....

Well I hope these posts have been useful to you. In any case what library error are you getting?
VAS_1
Frequent Advisor

Yes, I do find the replies most useful and thought-provoking.

This is the _cobol compiler_ error:

Assembler messages:
Can't open +A64 for reading: No such file or directory
ld: Can't find library or mismatched ABI for -lm
Fatal error.

Sandman!
Honored Contributor

Could you provide more information which may aid in troubleshooting this. How about posting the compilation command used, also the contents of environment variables like SHLIB_PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

What Cobol product and its version are you using?

thanks!
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

I'm assuming your real problem is:
>Assembler messages:
Can't open +A64 for reading: No such file or directory
ld: Can't find library or mismatched ABI for -lm
Fatal error.
>I would like to understand _why_ the GNUbase install is affecting this.

It appears you have replaced HP's assembler by a foreign devil version?

/usr/ccs/bin/as should accept the +A64 option.
You might want to use:
# /usr/sbin/swverify OS-Core.C-KRN

If your COBOL has a verbose -v mode, you might want to see which component is producing that error.

The mismatched ABI probably occurs because you don't have the right -L.
VAS_1
Frequent Advisor

>It appears you have replaced HP's assembler by a foreign devil version?

Bingo! The GNU utilities included an assembler, which is installed in /usr/local/bin /usr/ccs/bin, which is where HP's assembler is located, came _after_ /usr/local/bin in the default PATH.

Thanks to you and Sandman. I had finally narrowed it down to where things were going wrong, and your sentence set the light bulb off!

It is Merant Cobol 4.0, by the way, that the PeopleSoft program uses, which is where the original problem showed up.
VAS_1
Frequent Advisor

>It appears you have replaced HP's assembler by a foreign devil version?

Bingo! The GNU utilities included an assembler, which is installed in /usr/local/bin. HP's assembler is located in /usr/ccs/bin, which comes _after_ /usr/local/bin in the default PATH.

Thanks to you and Sandman. I had finally narrowed it down to where things were going wrong, and your sentence set the light bulb off!

It is Merant Cobol 4.0, by the way, that the PeopleSoft program uses, which is where the original problem showed up.
VAS_1
Frequent Advisor

I rearranged the system path so the ANSI C and ccs directories precede /usr/local/bin, where the GNU utilities installed.

Thanks again.
VAS_1
Frequent Advisor

Closed.