Operating System - Linux
1753347 Members
4919 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: a better way to exclude items other than a series of "grep -v" piped commands

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Re: a better way to exclude items other than a series of "grep -v" piped commands

John,

It's actuallly no problem as I had it already written up two weeks ago.
And it is not perfect....

http://dcl.openvms.org/stories.php?story=07/03/22/8049141

There are more differences with the VMS version that I did not take care of.
- VMS needs to special case ";" as file version seperator
- and VMS typically is case-blind for filenames (Unless ODS-5 is used)
- VMS is strict about extentions allowing just 1 dot in the file name (unless ODS-5).

=> The ; provided a 'right side' anchor for the regexp. Need to use $ for "eol" under Unix.
=> Need to allow for multiple dots.

This gives:

$ perl -le 'while (<*>) {$seen{$1}++ if /\.([^.]*$)/} print "\\.$_" foreach (sort keys %seen)'

Explanation:

-l = print new line with each print

-e = program text to follow

while (<*>) { = loop over 'globbed' list of files, putting filename in automatic variable $_

$seen{uc($1)}++ = Increment (and create) an associative array elemement with name being last match from $1

if /\.([^.]*$)/ = Only do the aforementioned on a match of a piece of string to be called $1 with 'any non dot' after a period and before end of line. The first period is escaped with a backslash to make it real, not a wild character

} = loop end

print = print the default variable $_

foreach (sort = loop over sorted array from...

keys %seen = all the keys for associative array 'seen', stashed in default variable $_ one at a time.

Regards, Hein van den Heuvel

TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Hein, thank you very much for the posting, now I've got something to go to the books with and review. That was graciously posted, thank you.

I was laughing to myself looking over the code aspects as you've written them; because had I written them in Perl, they would have come out being a) MUCH longer, and b) looking like someone who is used to writing in both C and ksh "wrote a combination C/ksh script in perl".
:-)
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>handling it all in a single grep from the command line ...

Your only problem was you only need one -v and the -e must be right before each pattern.
And if you didn't want to quote those ".", use fgrep.

>Patrick: # find . -type f | grep -v -E "\.xml|\.gif|\.htm|\.html"

There is no reason to use the egrep hammer.
Just use -f for that file solution. Or use multiple -e:
grep -v -e "\.xml$" -e "\.gif$" ...
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Denis,

thanks for your response - however a bit of clarification here is needed. I said that the "grep -v -e" doesn't work, and it doesn't , at least in HPUX 11i (might work in the newer ones).

So, while the "grep -v -e" in repetition works fine in Linux, it does not on HPUX:

example:

$ cat > test
ehlllo
goodbye
bye
hello
no
yes
sayit
say
yell
scream
ice cream
ice
cream

$ cat test | grep -v -e "test" -v -e "yell" -v -e "ice"
ehlllo
goodbye
bye
hello
no
yes
sayit
say
yell
scream
ice cream
ice
cream

Notice that no lines are missing:

HOWEVER, on Linux the above test works as expected:

$ cat test | grep -v -e "test" -v -e "yell" -v -e "ice"
ehlllo
goodbye
bye
hello
no
yes
sayit
say
scream
cream

Which is why I put the question in the HPUX forum...
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi John:

The '-v' switch needs to occur *once*:

# grep -v -e "test" -e "yell" -e "ice" file

By the way, you can skip the extra process (the 'cat') and let 'grep' open the file(s) specified as its argument(s) as above.

Regards!

...JRF...
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

"Note: handling it all in a single grep from the command line in the following fashion with something like "grep -e -v "\.gif" -e -v "\.htm" doesn't work."

Actually, as noted above, it should be:

grep -v -e "\.gif" -e "\.html" .....

w/o repeating "-v".

Unfortunately, Linux isn't unix, its a work-alike, developed from observed behaviour / documentation of unix + "enhancements"
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Well then,
it looks like the Linux version has figured out how to ignore the repeatiing series of "-v" to make it work...

thanks all for the clarification,
and I see that re-reading Dennis' post, he didn't repeat the "-v" over and over again.

Sorry Dennis, wish they had a do-over button on the points.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I see that re-reading Dennis' post, he didn't repeat the "-v" over and over again.

I would assume you could repeat it and work, but I'm lazy. You just can't put the -v after the -e.

Ah, you're right, there is a bug in grep. They just increment vflag then they do bit stuff on it.

>Sorry Dennis, wish they had a do-over button on the points.

Ok, you can add the rest here. :-)
So you don't feel short changed, I filed a bug report on it:
CR JAGag37626:
Multiple -v in grep cause all to be ignored