Operating System - Linux
1752675 Members
5772 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

howto for building X with gcc on hpux 11.0, or 11.11, or 11.23 on parisc or itanium.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

howto for building X with gcc on hpux 11.0, or 11.11, or 11.23 on parisc or itanium.

I see lots and lots of people have problems where they say:
author: I need to build X on my box.
forum guy: Just get the binary from HP depot area.
author: I can't. I have to compile it with from source.

Any book, or website dedicated to weeding through the mish-mash of tools, options, and procedures?
I would look at it to find answers for these questions like these:
--I would like details on differences between: xxx.sl, xxx.so, xxx.s, xxx.la?
--What is the meaning behind LDFLAGS, CXX, CCPFLAGS, CFLAGS, CC evironment?
--If libtools is so cool that it has its own website, why is actually built as a huge, shell script in apachesrc/src/lib/apr/libtool?
--IF I have a a sybase library libintl.sl fighting with /usr/local/lib/libintl.sl, can I get both libraries in to apache-with-php?

Here's my current problem:
problem compiling apache2 on gcc64 pa-risc
I'm trying to compile apache2 with GCC.
apache: httpd-2.2.3 via gcc: Target: hppa64-hp-hpux11.11

ld: Unable to load shared library "/opt/langtools/lib/libcomp.sl"
Fatal error.

It's dying because it can't find /opt/langtools/lib/libcomp.sl. From looking through google, and the hp forums, I see this error shows up on other things.

This libcomp.sl library is part of a patch PHSS_26793. This patch is for HP's C compiler. Therefore I need HP's C compiler in order to use GCC?

From what I can see, I run configure. This configure script runs lots of stuff to see what I have installed, then makes a pile of Makefiles and a libtool file. After that, I run gmake, and it dies looking for stuff I don't have installed.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Is there any spot that walks through compiling apache on hpux?
and why does the gmake command looks for non-existant libraries?

gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: hppa64-hp-hpux11.11
Configured with: /tmp/gcc-4.1.1.tar.gz/gcc-4.1.1/configure --host=hppa64-hp-hpux11.11 --target=hppa64-hp-hpux11.11 --build=hppa64-hp-hpux11.11 --prefix=/opt/hp-gcc64-4.1.1 --enable-languages=c,c++ --with-gnu-as --without-gnu-ld --with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld --enable-threads=posix
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.1.1

6 REPLIES 6
Yang Qin_1
Honored Contributor

Re: howto for building X with gcc on hpux 11.0, or 11.11, or 11.23 on parisc or itanium.

I'm not sure about apache2. But apache is include in HPUX installation CDs. You can also download it (for free) from HP site:
http://h20293.www2.hp.com/cgi-bin/swdepot_parser.cgi/cgi/displayProductInfo.pl?productNumber=HPUXWSSUITE

Yang
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

Re: howto for building X with gcc on hpux 11.0, or 11.11, or 11.23 on parisc or itanium.

I already said...
STEVE POST ASKS: how to get X to compile?
YANG QIN ANSWERS: you can get the binary version by going here.
STEVE POST RESPONDS: I don't want the binary version of didly-squat. I'm looking for information on compiling opensource software in general. I alway wrote a lot in my question.

Your response is listed in at least 20 replies to forum questions.

I'm looking for information, not software.
Perhaps the name of a book? a tutorial website? a college course? And the subject of this thing would be "how to clearly compile with gcc on hpux to install apache, php, mysql, perl, libtools, gettext, perl modules, and ........."

Yang Qin_1
Honored Contributor

OK, I'm sorry for mis-understanding. I thought you just want to have apache running on your HP machines but apparently, you want to compile the sourse code yourself (for fun?).

You need that share library for gcc to compile source code. I believe the source code can be complied with HP C/C++ compiler as well. So if you already got HP C compiler installed, you can try with cc. Maybe you will get the same error or maybe you will get another error.

I don't know if there some book / web sites about how to compile apache2 with gcc on HPUX exist. But There is website provide source codes of most popular softwares for HPUX. If you get your source code from the same place, you may just forget about it.

http://hpux.connect.org.uk/

Yang
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

I will repeat:
I'm not looking for source.
I'm looking for information.

Thanks for the website. That's where I get my stuff already. I know there is some information in the README and INSTALL documentation. But it assumes I know how to use flags likes "-nothreads" or "-DSO". It doesn't tell me what "-nothreads" or "-DSO" is, or where/how I apply it.

SURE.....I can place 2000 forum entries with each question. But, I'm looking for a place where the questions are already answered.

Tell you what.....
PRETEND I asked the 2000 questions. Where would YOU get your information to answer my questions? THAT's what I'm looking for.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: howto for building X with gcc on HP-UX 11.00, 11.11 or 11.23 on PA-RISC or Integrity.

>Here's my current problem:
ld: Unable to load shared library /opt/langtools/lib/libcomp.sl

This means you are illegally trying to do +O4 or PBO without purchasing an HP compiler. (Hopefully that isn't the case.)

Or alternately ld is broken and not telling you that your objects are not compatible with the linker. I.e. using PA objects with a IPF link.

> This libcomp.sl library is part of a patch PHSS_26793. This patch is for HP's C compiler. Therefore I need HP's C compiler in order to use GCC?

Yes, libcomp.sl is part of the HP C, aC++ or Fortran bundles.
But libcomp.sl shouldn't be invoked unless you used HPC/aC++ with +O4 or +I/+P.

If you use -Wl,-t, you can see a list of objects before ld aborts. Then you can use file(1) on each to see if they are all PA1.1 or PA2.0. For archives, you may have to extract all of the objects and check each one. (If you don't know how to insert -Wl,-t, you can "export LDOPTS=-t".)

>--I would like details on differences between: xxx.sl, xxx.so, xxx.s?

.sl are PA's shared libs.
.so are IPF's (and every other vendor's) shared libs.
.s are assembly sources.

>--What is the meaning behind LDFLAGS, CXX, CCPFLAGS, CFLAGS, CC environment?

These are makefile conventions. You'll need to look at make(1). Or use make -p to get the set of predefined rules.

LDFLAGS are typically flags passed to ld
CXXFLAGS are typically flags passed to C++
CCPFLAGS are preprocessing flags. They could be passed to a compiler driver
CFLAGS are typically flags passed to C
CC is the make macro for the C driver.
CXX is the make macro for the C++ driver
LD is the make macro for ld or a compiler driver

Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

Thanks. You answered all my questions.

These were examples. My actual question was where to go for more specific information.

I was hoping for a web site or a book title.

No wait, you DID provide me an answer to that too: the man pages, and the hp forums.