Operating System - HP-UX
1748169 Members
4147 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: java application on HP-UX performs very slow (much slower than on Windows , Linux, AIX)

Andrey Leontyev
Occasional Contributor

java application on HP-UX performs very slow (much slower than on Windows , Linux, AIX)

We need your help about performance problems running our corporate Java application on HP-UX server. Application is standalone tool which synchronizes data over several data bases into one, communicates with remote control on XML-RPC protocol and uses local Derby (Java DB) data base instance to hold configuration data etc. We don not have performance problems on other environments on the same load like Windows XP, Linux and AIX which use Sun JVM. After series of test we found out that most time consuming was communication with Derby data base. Most time is spent on reading from socket and this time is greater in 10-100 times than on other platforms. We know for sure that Derby works fine, weтАЩve got CPU reserve (usage is about 30%-40%, up to 70%), so most probable reason is transport layer between local data base and application.

Is there a way to diagnose socket I\O problems on HP-UX or maybe there is some possible limitations that can be configured? Maybe there is necessary JVM option? Any feedback from your side would be highly appreciated.

WeтАЩve tried to optimize JVM options according to http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v6r1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.websphere.wsfep.multiplatform.doc/info/ae/ae/tprf_tunejvm_v61.html but didnтАЩt get any significant improvement.

JVM info:
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (19.1-b02-jinteg:2011mar11-16:46 PA2.0W (aCC_AP), mixed mode)
Java: version 1.6.0.10, vendor "Hewlett-Packard Company"

We use following instance:
Architecture: PA_RISC2.0W 64bit
Processors: 2

Total physical memory size: 4 088 MB
Swap size: 4 090 MB
6 REPLIES 6
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Re: java application on HP-UX performs very slow (much slower than on Windows , Linux, AIX)

Well - if your HP-UX machine is PARISC - it will naturally be trounced by any other X86 CPU circa 2004 and later (2+ Ghz clock speed).

There's just no way even the fastest PARISC system can beat X86 OS based Java period.

Let me guess -- your PARISC is likely a PA8800 or PA8900 system right? So something likely ~ 1.0 Ghz?

I know performance is not all about clock speed -- but c'mon -- PARISC are just old chips. Even earlier Pentiums and Xeons with HT (hyperthreading featurettes) are significantly faster than PARISC in certain compute workloads.

Hakuna Matata.
Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor

There was an option to pass to the JVM on startup to make it initialize as a server and use a different memory model than the usual say desktop JVM would, as far as I remember.
But I'm sure this must have been addressed in the IBM link that you mentioned (haven't read it to be honest).
Madness, thy name is system administration
Andrey Leontyev
Occasional Contributor

To Ralph Grothe:
Thank you for your reply. Yes, we are working in server mode. JVM switch it on automatically on HP-UX.
Andrey Leontyev
Occasional Contributor

To: Alzhy
Thank you for your reply. I am pretty sure that we use old server. I will try to get it.
But unfortunately we cannot change it(
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Then you cannot simply compare a Honda Civic to a an Acura sir.

What kind of PC/X86 environment were you comparing against?

I deal with this performance debacles/differences all the time. No amount of tuning on the old aging UNIX system (whose CPUs are a generation older than current) can beat even yesterday's X86 speedsters. Even today's current UNIX systems can still be beaten by today's X86 systems in head to head battle.

So you should really compare against a similarly configured system.

Good Luck.
Hakuna Matata.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Other than the comments about aging PA systems and making sure you have the latest patches, if you have java performance problems, you should talk to the Response Center.