6528 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: pax

Allanm
Super Advisor

pax

Hi Gurus,

I need to restart the copy through the pax command from where it got left out since the drive to which I was copying to got unmounted accidentally.

When I tried my usual way -

pax -rw

pax: Unable to remove directory ...

Thanks,
Allan
5 REPLIES 5
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>pax: Unable to remove directory ...

You may have to remove it first.

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Allan:

The 'pax' utility does not have restart point capability. Empty the destination directory and restart your copy.

Regards!

...JRF...
Allanm
Super Advisor

Thanks for replying so quickly, any other alternate command which can do that for me instead of deleting the previously copied stuff.

Please share.

Thanks,
Allan.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again) Allan:

> any other alternate command which can do that for me instead of deleting the previously copied stuff.

I suppose that you could add the '-u' switch to your copy (see the 'pax' manpages). I am not sure that this is going to gain you any speed when compared to deleting everything copied thus far and beginning again, though.

Regards!

...JRF...
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>any other alternate command which can do that for me instead of deleting the previously copied stuff.

It may take longer to do the mickey mouse commands than to restart. It's already been 11+ minutes.

If you want to "restart", you'll need to invoke pax(1) in a subtree and redo for each directory that wasn't copied. And if you have a partial copy, you'll need to remove and restart.

Much safer to redo everything, unless you think doing a dircmp(1) is faster.