1748171 Members
4386 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: pdbx64 error

Vasile_1

pdbx64 error

Hi!

I'm having trouble in debugging a huge shared library. When linking, I get an error message:

"pxdb failed with out of memory when reading an ELF section. Set environment variable ELF_LARGEFILE to true and compile again
$ ELF_LARGEFILE=true cc -g

Failed to get data from a section.
PXDB aborted.
pxdb64: internal error. File won't be debuggable (still a valid executable)"

Indeed, file is working, but if I try to load it in debugger, it will try again to run pxdb64 and oviously fail.

If I export ELF_LARGEFILE=true, I get another message right at the end of linking:
"Failure updating /home/porting/night/forum/run/libpgnppsxmlcmds.sl"
I have enough disk space, so I don't understand what's wrong here... The shared lib is created (it has the same size as without ELF_LARGEFILE=true, but has some some binary diffs).

I'm working with WDB 5.2, and pxdb64 -v returns:
HP92453-02 A.11.0 HP-UX SYMBOLIC DEBUGGER (PXDB) $Revision: 76.54 $
Header version: 5
PXDB aborted.

uname -a:
HP-UX my_server B.11.00 U 9000/800 122434639 unlimited-user license

aCC -V:
aCC: HP ANSI C++ B3910B A.03.45
(cannot update because of some third-party compatibility issues)

Has anyone any idea what to try next?

Thanks,
Vasile Brindus
3 REPLIES 3
Suganya Thirumurthy
Occasional Advisor

Hi Vasile,
Can you let me know the size of shared library and the executable?

Thanks
Suganya T
Suganya Thirumurthy
Occasional Advisor

Hi Vasile,
You can use +objdebug option with debug option(-g) to the compiler. Hope it will help you to debug the huge shared libraries.
Can you please let me know the version of the linker(ld)? Can you please share the testcase or executable if possible?

Thanks
Suganya T
Vasile_1

Hi!

Linker version:
ld -V
92453-07 linker command s800.sgs ld PA64 B.11.36 REL 030211
ld: 92453-07 linker linker ld B.11.36 030403

But I don't think the linker has anything to do with the issue, unless it has some bugs (I can debug smaller programs).

The main program is 2.5 MB, it loads some shared libraries (probably 110 MB) and then the huge one which is 960 MB. This is the one which is not debuggable because of the pdbx64 issue.

Unfortunately, I cannot share the executable and the shared lib, and I don't know if I can build a testcase.

I'm trying to split it, but it will take some time (because of the monolithical design, there are lots of dependencies). But a big part of it, which is 705 MB, was linked without error messages (so I suppose it IS debuggable).

I will try to use +objdebug obtion, it's a good idea. I will let you know what I get.

Thanks,
Vasile