1752512 Members
4768 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

perl 5.8.5 on HPUX 11i.23 Itanium

drwalk
Occasional Advisor

perl 5.8.5 on HPUX 11i.23 Itanium

Has anyone got perl 5.8.5 compiled from source on HPUX 11.23 with the HPUX ANSCI C compiler for use with DBD-Oracle. There is so much "stuff" in the README.hpux file for PA-RISC 11i that it is hard to determine exactly what is required for Itanium. If so, can you let me know the Configure parameters/differences from the defaults.
5 REPLIES 5
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Re: perl 5.8.5 on HPUX 11i.23 Itanium

Do you really need 5.8.5, or will 5.8.3 work? If so, you can download the pre-built binaries for 11.23 from:

http://hpux.connect.org.uk/ftp/hpux/Languages/perl-5.8.3/perl-5.8.3-sd-11.22.depot.gz

I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
drwalk
Occasional Advisor

My real issue is trying to get DBD-Oracle working. According to the README.hpux within this module, and many forum sites, I need to create perl from source with explicit options that are not used in the various binary versions. I have tried 5.8.0,5.8.2 and 5.8.3 with no luck. So I am using 5.8.5 in the hope that it is more likely to be Itanium aware that the previous versions.
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

I don't have a copy of DBD-Oracle, so I have no idea what is in the README.hpux instructions.

You said:

I have tried 5.8.0,5.8.2 and 5.8.3 with no luck. So I am using 5.8.5 in the hope that it is more likely to be Itanium aware that the previous versions.

Were those versions specifically compiled for Itanium systems or did you download binaries that were compiled for "HP-UX"? The link I gave above was for perl binaries that were specifically compiled for Itanium, so I'm not sure how much more "Itanium aware" perl would have to be if it was compiled on Itanium.

In any case, you might want to try the 5.8.3 binaries from that link, as they were compiled specifically for Itanium, just to see if they work for you.

Regards,

Dave
I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
drwalk
Occasional Advisor

Here is what I needed to do.

1. Remove any /opt /usr/local version of perl
2. Ensure that the ANSI C compiler installed
3. Oracle 9.2.0.5 installed and working correctly.
4. Go through the perl -V and make sure that the following were correctly defined from perl5.8.5 Configure, and where they weren't edit the config.sh of the perl 5.8.5 build.

archname=IA64.ARCHREV_0-LP64
config_args='-des -Ulocincpth= -Uloclibpth= -Duse64bitall -Duselargefiles -Dlibs=-lnsl -lnm -ldl -ldld -lm -lsec -lpthread -lc '
ccflags =' -Ae -D_HPUX_SOURCE -Wl,+vnocompatwarnings +DD64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 '
cppflags='-D__STDC_EXT__ -D_HPUX_SOURCE -D_HPUX_SOURCE -Wl,+vnocompatwarnings '
ldflags ='+DD64 -L/usr/lib/hpux64'
libpth=/usr/lib/hpux64 /lib /usr/lib /usr/ccs/lib /usr/local/lib
libs=-lnsl -lnm -ldl -ldld -lm -lsec -lpthread -lc
perllibs=-lnsl -lnm -ldl -ldld -lm -lsec -lpthread -lc
cccdlflags='+Z', lddlflags='-b +vnocompatwarnings -L/usr/lib/hpux64'

Without out these every attempt at the DBD-ORACLE.1.16 had the same issues as previously posted. Its seems that perl 5.8.x is still not Itanium aware. Most of the libs where pointing to the 32bit versions after Configure had completed.

I get still get 2 tests failing on the perl 5.8.5 make test.

lib/Net/Ping/t/450_service................# Failed test 9 in ../lib/Net/Ping/t/450_service.t at line 84 *TODO*
# ../lib/Net/Ping/t/450_service.t line 84 is: ok $p -> ping("127.0.0.1");
# Failed test 18 in ../lib/Net/Ping/t/450_service.t at line 143 *TODO*
# ../lib/Net/Ping/t/450_service.t line 143 is: ok $p -> ack();
ok

lib/ExtUtils/t/recurs.....................# Failed test (../lib/ExtUtils/t/recurs.t at line 61)
# got: '256'
# expected: '0'

These I'll attempt to fix/post on a forum and see how I go.

4. Install/compile DBI-43
5. Install DBD-ORACLE-1.16 with the following change to the Makefile.PL

On the DBD-ORACLE-1.16 I needed to add $OH/plsql into the find function in the sub find_headers subroutine.

All the DBD tests then pass.
H.Merijn Brand (procura
Honored Contributor

1. I'd personally put -lpthread -lc in_fron of the libs and perllibs list, but that should be OK
2. The ping failure is a known failure, and tells me that you are probably quite up-to-date with the ExtSW HP-UX patches. This test started failing after the December 2003 ExtSW (goldpack) updates. We at perl development have not (had time to) figure out why.
3. I have seen the recurs failure before. I don't think it's vital.
4. It's not "Configure" itself that is Itanium aware. It's "hints/hpux.sh", and I am *_VERY_* eager to see improvements to it to better suit Itanium, since I'm currently the official maintainer of both files. I don't have access to Itanium anymore, now that the spe173 has been removed from the testdrive pool

[*] If anyone can give me ssh access to an Itanium box, with enough disk space and network access, which I can use to build/test/expand Perl, I'd be more than happy to add that to my ports

Feel free to post patches/changes/README-additions/remarks directly to me merijn at procura dot nl, and don't forget a subject. I also have contact with the author of DBI and DBD-Oracle, so valid patches might make it to the next version and improve HP-UX support

Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn
Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn