1753665 Members
5627 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion

OS hangs on reboot and shutdown

Bintr
Occasional Advisor

OS hangs on reboot and shutdown

I have a HP Proliant DL580 G7 running Manjaro and as the title suggests, I cannot reboot or shut down the server, since it just hangs. The only way I was able to shut it down was shutdown -f and to reboot it reboot -f, which in general is not a good idea.
I’m using the latest LTS kernel (Linux 5.10.53-1).

When I run sudo journalctl -xe this shows up:
kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 0: Machine Check: 0 Bank: 9: d00002c0000a008f
kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC 6c2d309b48d4
kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 0: 206f2 TIME 1628519386 SOCKET 0 APIC 0 microcode 3b

Characteristics if needed:
CPU: 4x Xeon E7-4870
GPU: GeForce GTX 670

I've been told on the Manjaro forum that this is most likely caused by my BIOS being outdated (BIOS: HP v: P65 date: 10/01/2013) and was told ot ask on the HP forums for more help on how to update my BIOS. My question is: Do I have to install all the BIOSs 1 version at a time or can I just install the newest version directly?
Also, this is the BIOS section from which I'm supposed to get my BIOS updates from, right?

25 REPLIES 25
Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor

Re: OS hangs on reboot and shutdown

The best troubleshoot, based on Windows,

Win + R

type msconfig

go to services 

and first disable all select then startup also disable then check same issue persist or not.

I Haq
Ivan_B
HPE Pro

@Ihaqueit  Have you heard about Linux? Do you really think that pressing Win + R in Manjaro will give you 'Run' dialog like in Windows? Have you ever seen msconfig in Linux??? I am sure it will surprise you, but LInux is not Windows, there is no msconfig there

Please, read questions before posting your answers. You don't help anybody with your irrelevant and misleading posts. Otherwise your posts will be reported to the Moderator.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor

Thanks to confirmation.

If its linux try this command.

systemctl -at service.

You already familiar with Linux right then you also familiar how to disable or enable the startup process, Once you stop the startup process chances to not hang or shutdown.

I Haq
Ivan_B
HPE Pro

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor

Bintr
Occasional Advisor

Well, the Manjaro moderators told me that the problem is caused by my BIOS being too old and was told to update to the newest version and now a new problem arose. When trying to update my BIOS via USB I get the following message:
photo_2021-08-12_19-32-55.jpg

Text:

ROMPAQ or DIAG disk found, Attempting Boot From Drive

Invalid system disk
Replace the disk, and then press any key

Searching online for the error does not find anything similar to what I have, nor have I ever encountered this error before. Does anybody have an idea what could be causing this and how to fix it? 

Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor

Better to revert back, and once you check this site may be found helpful.

[SOLVED] Manjaro keeps randomly freezing,any solution? (cupoflinux.com)

I Haq
Bintr
Occasional Advisor

Revert to what? I haven't done anything yet, since I was not able to due to the error. Also, the forum post you sent me is not really related to my problem. My server doesn't randomly freeze. It only hangs when shutting down or rebooting. The only way to shut it down or reboot it is thru the shutdown -f or reboot -f commands, but -f (force) is not really recommended since it's basically like holding down the power button.

Also, it's not clear what you want me to do with the systemctl -at service command, since that's just for listing the machine's services. How am I supposed to know which process/service doesn't exit correctly?

Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor

What is the existing running bios version?

What is the new running bios version?

Can you revert back new version to older version?

I Haq