LoadRunner and Performance Center
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Times, timing and timeouts in TruClient

Guy_Rosenthal

Hi Les,

TruClient engine is JS based, as so it is working asynchronously and aimed to work like that due to the AUTs nature to be asynchronous as well. The user model is indeed synchronous, but the asynchronous notion on how the applications are working in the background is an important to utilize the technology and harness it for your needs.

Best,

Guy

Guy Rosenthal
Network Virtualization PM
0 Kudos
About the Author

Guy_Rosenthal

Network Virtualization Product Manager

Comments
ronald sercely

Overall - great article.

One comment however - I do find it unfortunate that you use the term "pacing" in this article, as "pacing" has been present as a run time setting in VuGen since its inception, and means something very different than what is discussed here. When a reader of this article discusses this with another engineer - how are they to distinguish which of the two definitions of "pacing" are being referred to?

I guess we could say "iteration pacing" vs "step pacing" ?

Guy_Rosenthal

Hi Ron,

When I meant Pacing, I meant Pacing in the world of TruClient only.

However I get your point, if you'll read carefully you will see that Pacing is actually referred to "inter-step interval" which is more accurate.

Thanks,

Guy

Les Murphy

Thanks for sharing this information.  A question:

"TruClient is asynchronous by design. "

It seems to me like TruClient scripts are always synchronous as to how the steps are executed.  One step has to encounter it's end event before the next step is started.

Am I missing something?   I have not needed to capture timings for multiple parallel asynch events, but is it possible to do so in TruClient?  For example, to measure the response time for each individual porlet in a dashboard, where the individual portlets are each refreshed in the background via Ajax.

Guy_Rosenthal

Hi Les,

TruClient engine is JS based, as so it is working asynchronously and aimed to work like that due to the AUTs nature to be asynchronous as well. The user model is indeed synchronous, but the asynchronous notion on how the applications are working in the background is an important to utilize the technology and harness it for your needs.

Best,

Guy

Speedmaster
Fantastic post, thanks.
kumar27

Hi All,

Even after setting all the above wait time logics, in my script i could see frequent failure of the transactions due to timeout happening at LR side.

I have default wait time for object to be loaded from 20 to 360 sec

I have also wait after each transaction in the script.

But neither of the above is working and i see timeout only during the execution via controller and also observed that transction doesn't complete in develope mode ('Message displayed as DOM content to be loaded')

Can you please help on this ASAP

LR version : 11.52

AUT : Peoplesoft 8.85

Browser : FF

Regards

Naresh

Shawn Wales

Great article Guy...

Another good technique for handling timing issues is to use a Verify statement.  

For example, after a step is executed... and you can't figure out which End Event (can any of us figure out what each of these do ?:)), the technique is to add a Verify Text statement.  Make sure you set the Object Timeout and Step Timeout high so you allow enough time for rendering.  As soon as the Text shows up, TruClient will continue on to the next step.

BTW.  This is also better than using a WAIT statement.  WAIT statements will pause for the amount of time specified no matter what.  The Verify Text statement will continue as soon as the Text appears.

James Kelly

Hi,

I have a problem at the minute where wait steops dont actuall y wait the time specified in the step,

Have you come across this before?

I have wait steps which should wait 60 seconds but complete in 3 or less seconds??

thanks,

James

PerfGeek

Hi Guy,

I have just started working with my first TC script, and in the Output window, it shows me two different timings:
Notify: Transaction "ABCD_TC_S01_T001_Login" ended with "Pass" status (Duration: 16.2106 Think Time: 0.2000).

Can you tell me what is the think time stated here? I have seperate "Wait" times inserted between my actions. And for transactions, the Duration and pacing are both quite high, and close to each other.

Thanks!!!

Pavan Gurram

Hi Guy / All,

Hope you're well!!

Your article really helped on my scripting and a great article.

Please could you let me know for any functions/code that can calculate waste time (minimum time) for each transaction of the script in order to exclude it from transaction response times.

My script has around 30 transactions with 400 steps and each step has a minimum time to be perfomed. In analysis file, I can see the results with Minimum time inccluded and shown high response times.

So I wanted to exclude this waste/minimum time from my transaction response times. As I'm closer to Execution phase, it would be a great help if you can provide some suggestions.

Many thanks in advance. Really appreciated!!

sasimmons

This article has been very helpful. Thank you.

I am encountering an issue with a transaction that, more often than not, reports a duration time that is less than wasted time. Even after making various changes to minimum time and the step's End Event, this happens with great frequency. The result is an error message in the vuser log which says the transaction was skipped and an Analysis report showing very few of these transactions in the "pass" status (none in fail or stop either). In these cases, wasted time reported is very high, anywhere between 2-8 seconds. This does not seem to follow the formulas you describe above.

Can you help me understand why this is occurring and if there any steps I can take to prevent it?

Events
June 6 - 8, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Discover 2017 Las Vegas
Join us for HPE Discover 2017 in Las Vegas. The event will be held at the Venetian | Palazzo from June 6-8, 2017.
Read more
Each Month in 2017
Software Expert Days - 2017
Join us online to talk directly with our Software experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Da...
Read more