LoadRunner and Performance Center
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Who’s up for some mobile performance testing?

NaveenKumar Namachivayam

Very insight information about number of vusers per LG. Thanks!

About the Author

NaveenKumar Namachivayam

Comments
wilsonmar

Excellent summary, Malcolm!

For a geeky dive into LoadRunner bits, see 

http://wilsonmar.com/mobile_vugen.htm#Flowchartz

(on a desktop browser)

Anonymous_User1

Thanks Wilson - good job on the flowchart on your site!

Ravi SUvvari

Hi ,Interesting Article,

I am also interested in Knowing what is approximate load,how many concurrent users in a typical day it can support(i am not sure what is typical load in a day for providers ),How many Vusers are supported for each Lg(Load injektor).

Ravi

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/ravi-suvvari/1/232/23

Anonymous_User1

Hi Ravi,

Thanks for commenting.  Unfortunately, I can’t give you a specific number of Vusers per load generator, as each situation is unique.  You’ll need to perform some calculations to get a value for your specific situation.  I consulted with my LoadRunner colleagues to come up with a suggestion for how you might go about it...

Firstly, identify a single Vuser footprint as follows:

• Create a scenario in the Controller which uses your script, and set the number of iterations to 30 in the Run Time Setting.  It should be configured to run until complete.
  • Using the Windows Resource Monitor, configure %Process Time and Private Bytes counters on the mdrv.exe process in order to measure the footprint. Note that in order to configure these counters, you should first run the script to have mdrv.exe running. Run the scenario just for the sake of configuring the counters and then stop and save it before initiating the real test.
  • Run the scenario and make sure the monitor data is collected
  • As soon as the scenario execution ends, analyze the results using the Analysis tool. Make sure you analyze complete data and not only summary data.
  • Open the Windows Resource graph and make a note of the average CPU and peak memory utilization.

Now, you can determine the number of Vusers per LG.  You need to work out how many Vusers the CPU can sustain, and how many the memory can accommodate.  

• This formula will give you the number of Vusers the CPU can sustain:

Number of Vusers per CPU = (70% * Number of Core Processors)/ Vuser Average CPU Usage

(We recommend limiting it to 70% so as not to overuse the CPU)

• This formula gives you the number of Vusers the memory can accommodate:

Number of Vusers by Memory = (Total GB RAM of LG – GB RAM allocated for the operating system and other processes) / Vuser Peak Memory Usage

(You might want to reserve 1GB for the OS etc)

The number of Vusers that you are looking for should be the lower of these two values.

Here’s a table with some examples:

No of Core Processors

Average CPU usage of Vuser (%)

Vusers for CPU

(70%*No of Core Processors)/Average CPU usage of Vuser

Total Assignable Memory (GB)

(Total Memory-1GB)

Peak Memory per Vuser (MB)

Vusers for Memory

(Total Assignable Memory/Peak memory per Vuser)

Lower of “Vusers per CPU” and  “Vusers by Memory”

(70*8)/10=56

8-1=7

7GB/80MB=89

(70*4)/22=12

8-1=7

7GB/100MB=70

70*8/6=93

16-1=15

15GB/120MB=125

It’s not bulletproof – different scripts have different considerations and requirements, so it’s difficult to say categorically that this will work.  But it should be enough to get you started.

You can also post on the LoadRunner Community discussion board to ask other users to share some numbers with you.

NaveenKumar Namachivayam

Very insight information about number of vusers per LG. Thanks!

Anonymous_User1

Update: I added a line to the Scenarios table in the article for On-Device Recording.  Now that LoadRunner 11.52 has been released, the LoadRunner Mobile Recorder is now available from Google Play, so you can record scripts directly on your mobile device!

Satzz

Hi,

Won't there be any difference if LG is a computer machine for a mobile based script?

if LG is a computer machine, Will it capture the actual response time as if we use in mobile?

Thank you

Sathish

Anonymous_User1

Hi Sathish,

It depends on what you mean by “actual response time”. With any of LoadRunner’s mobile solutions, the LG will correctly capture the actual response time at the transport level, as it will be sending the same HTTP requests as a mobile device would send, thus causing the server to respond as if it’s responding to a mobile device.

If, however, by “response time” you mean the end-to-end time, including both the communications between client and server and the time it takes for the mobile application to process the response, then your mileage may vary. The closest you will get to this is by using the TruClient Mobile solution.

iGattus

Nice Information , Now that there is a LR Recorder for Android. It will be intresting to know if similar app is available for iOS  & BB . Any inputs to how this is beign done currently withour on device tools to caprute will be awesome

Anonymous_User1

Hi iGattus,

We’re working on an iOS solution. Due to various Apple-induced restrictions, creating an iOS application that records the traffic is a much more challenging task, but it is in our roadmap and we’re researching various options. There are no plans for a Blackberry app. Blackberry users can use the rest of our mobile recording solutions (proxy, server-side etc.)

naresh_perf

Hi MalcolmIsaacs,
Thanks for the table above providing your view on point around consideration of Vusers per load generator..
Can you also throw some light on licencing model of LoadRunner? Can you provide info about factors on which the licensing depends for mobile app performance testing (both native and web based apps)? Which protocols comes by default and which do not etc and other details? Can you provide approx cost range for 100/200/500/1000 virtual users? If one does not want to go with accurate Network simulation by leveraging LoadRunner-Shunra capabilities as mentioned above does LoadRunner offer to simulate Limited bandwidth, Network latency, Packet loss features in mobile network context?

Anonymous_User1

Hi naresh_perf,

I've sent you a private message regarding your questions on LoadRunner licensing, etc.

CIITRONIAN
I need to know one more thing does HP Load runner or UFT supports telecom protocols such as MML SMPP DCC SFTP SOAP can it support telecom apps SMS MMS testing calls etc.. If yes then how?
Ashwin_N_S

I know this is a very old mail thread, please bare with me.

I have installed tPacket Pro version in my mobile. Please find the steps bellow, that I have done till now.

1. I started recording in tPacket Pro, done some activities in chrome and stopped recording.
  2. I got a .pcap file from the tool.
  3. I send it to my mail account downloaded the .pcap in my system.
  4. Tried to open the .pcap file with Vugen and I found the script contains data which cannot be read by human eyes.

Can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong in this?

Please Note: As per my understanding I should be able to open the .pcap file from Vugen and run the same in my system also.

Events
June 6 - 8, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Discover 2017 Las Vegas
Join us for HPE Discover 2017 in Las Vegas. The event will be held at the Venetian | Palazzo from June 6-8, 2017.
Read more
Each Month in 2017
Software Expert Days - 2017
Join us online to talk directly with our Software experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Da...
Read more