6369 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion

HP V-M200 with multiple VLAN's

Matthew177
Occasional Visitor

HP V-M200 with multiple VLAN's

Hello,

We have about 20 M200 access points where  each one has 3 wireless communities, each one assigned to a particular vlan.

Now we are facing the problem that randomly wireless are client receiving an IP address into vlan x, while they should receive an address from the dhcp server into vlan y. Most of the time we can solve this issue simply by disconnecting and reconnecting the client, which is pretty annoying as you can imagine. Setting a fix ip address to the wireless clients solves  the problem as well but this isn't an option since one of the communities is a public internet access.

The switch ports on which our access points are connected to are configured as trunk port, carrying the 3 vlans used by our communities as tagged and one untagged vlan used as management vlan for the AP.

We tried the same setup with a different edge switch (currently we are using HP 1910-48G's) but this didn't change anything, also I have to say that we never experienced any dhcp issue with our wired clients so I'm pretty sure that the problem is comming from the M200.

Does anyone noticed the same problem with those equipements? Since using multiple SSID's with different vlans is nothing special, I can't imagine that we are the only one who are facing this issue??

PS: the firmware on the M200 is the last available, version 5.4.1

Thanks,

Matthew

3 REPLIES 3
tschaps
Valued Contributor

Re: HP V-M200 with multiple VLAN's

Are these the only multi-vlan AP's you've tried? And do you have a DHCP server with an interface on each VLAN, or are you use a DHCP helper to distribute IP's? I am not so sure this can be pinned on the AP's for certain without further testing. I have used them in a similar scenario without noticing that problem (though other problems cropped up). But I use different DHCP servers on the different VLANs, so I wonder if there's a problem there? One reason it's not comparable to say that you haven't had this problem on the wired network, therefore it must be the AP is that on switches, ethernet ports to PC hosts are generally untagged traffic on one VLAN. Not saying it's not the APs, but just don't rule out an incorrect configuration on switches, routers, or DHCP server.

It also may be helpful to try to determine any pattern in the DHCP errors, which IP subnets errantly go on which vlan, etc. 

You may have moved past this, but I noticed no one had ever responded.

Matthew177
Occasional Visitor

Unfortunately, we have no other multi-vlan AP's which I could use for furher testing but we are using a different DHCP server for each vlan as so I think that we can rule out a misconfiguration of the dhcp relay. 

Just noticed that version 5.4.1.1 is out, I will let you know if there is any improvement after the upgrade.

Thanks,

Mat

Flash600
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

I've the same problem: 2 Wireless communities with 2 different VLan's connected to an procurve 4204. Firmware of the Access Point is 5.4.1.1-01-11416

Have you found a solution?

Thanks