M and MSM Series for about 10% of users

New Member for about 10% of users

In the wireless clients view I have about 10% of the clients listed with a IP address. Anyone else with this issue? Some are even authorized using 802.1x. At first I thought it was just users' devices in sleep mode, but actually they are unable to connect at all. Almost like they authenticate, but don't get an IP. DHCP is fine and I've opened up a case that got elevated with HP, but man are they slow. I've been dealing with issues since last summer after the forced upgrade from 5.4 that was killing my 460 APs. Last year I loved this product, but this year it eats up all my time and support is useless. 

Also I'm running, but considering going back to

Valued Contributor

Re: for about 10% of users

@BDFW wrote:

... Almost like they authenticate, but don't get an IP. DHCP is fine...


I am new to this HP MSM system, just a few months, and I always have a bunch of's, but I always have attributed it either low power mode or it being a small device that is not passing much traffic. The's show up almost exclusively on my Guest network and the one set up special for our iPad pilot program, rarely do I see on my main networks

Are you saying that you know that the client has not gotten an IP for sure? As a test, I looked down my wireless client list sorted by duration and found a client on the guest network associated for 28 minutes with a I looked at its detail page and confirmed the IP and it was not in Power Save. Then I looked up its MAC in my DHCP and found it did have an IP address leased. So I pinged it, and I got a response. I then refreshed the detail page, and the iP showed up. That makes me think that the controller knew the client di have an IP address (when I have had DHCP problems, I get a lot of 169.x.x.x IPs in that Wireless Client list, no's), but it had not been snooped and reported by the AP to the controller. However, the switch the AP is connected to must have known where to route the ping (though I am not expert with arp and MAC tables and could be wrong here). 

Then I tried another one, and it showed it was associated for 11 minutes, not in power save mode, and I could *not* ping the address listed in the DHCP leases. However, my DHCP lease log showed that the device had not requested a lease renewal in the 2 hrs since the lease was issued. Procurve manager showed that the device had moved around a couple times in that two hours, and it sometimes had an IP, and sometimes it just showed A few minutes later, the device moved to another part of the building and the IP again showed up, but no request had been made of the DHCP server. A few hours later was the first that it showed up in the DHCP log again.

Now, I may be wrong, but my understanding of all this is that new smart phones/iPods/iPads etc maintain association with the nearest access point, but if it's not actively being used to surf or stream, the DHCP snooping doesn't snag the IP address. Perhaps all that low activity stuff happens at layer 2.

In any case, it would be handy for you to be able to identify a device in that " state," check the DHCP server to confirm it has active lease, then physically go to the device to check its IP settings to see if it *knows* it has the lease. And then, of course, see if you have IP connectivity.


This might all be much ado about nothing!