SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
HP-Browniee
Respected Contributor

3 MSM 760 controllers teaming. Software upgrade

Hello guys

I have a little question for you.

I have a customer with 3 MSM760 controllers in teaming. so they are managed with 1 ip address.

Now i want to upgrade the software of the controllers. What impact will this have an the ap's connected?

Is there a scenario that not all the AP's will reboot at the same time? So there will be minimum network impact.

Or is downtime  unavoidable?

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
CraigS1971
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: 3 MSM 760 controllers teaming. Software upgrade

Hi Browniee,

All the AP software will be automatically upgraded so all of them will reboot.

I run a 4x MSM760 team  + 500x APs, and have upgraded a few times.

It is a painless process, just give them a bit of time to restart and reconnect to the controllers.

Regards,

Craig

Highlighted
HP-Browniee
Respected Contributor

Hi 

Thank you for your answer!

My customer has version 5.7.3.0-13117 at the moment. I looked this up and noticed that this is an old version.

The goal is to go to version 6.6.0.0, but i assume it is not recommended to upgrade the controller imediatlly to that version.

I had in mind to upgrade first to version 5.7.5.0 and after that to 6.6.00.

With your experience, you think this will be enough to upgrade without unexpected problemes?

Kind regards

Highlighted
CraigS1971
Valued Contributor

From V6.6.2.0 release notes:

IMPORTANT: If your controller is not already running Version 5.7.5.0 or 6.0.3.0 or later, two-step upgrade must be performed. First upgrade your controller to Version 5.7.5.0 or 6.2.1.1, and then as a second step, upgrade the controller to V6.6.0.0.

I went from 5.7.4.x I think, to 6.2.1.1 and then 6.5.3.0. Later went to 6.6.2.0 and still there - No trouble.

Just remember that your AP software is upgraded everytime you upgrade the controller software.

Your safest bet is reading through the release notes to check that "your" config will not present a problem. They do change options between updates sometimes but it is well documented.

Highlighted
HP-Browniee
Respected Contributor

Thanks for the information!

Highlighted
Champ895
Occasional Visitor

I need the version 5.75 in order to upgrade to 6.6. I already have the 6.6 firmware. Can someone please help me with getting the 5.75 firmware please? I have contacted HP and they said they are unable to get it for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.