Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3CRWER100-75 logging

Highlighted
connyj
Occasional Visitor

3CRWER100-75 logging

I think I have a couple of problema with the logging in the firewall. I have the lastest firmware, 1.3.06ww.

1) First of all, the log (security log) is never longer than about 10 minutes. It depends on how much has happened that the firewall wants to log. Probably it clears the log when reaching a certain numer of lines, say 40 or so. This makes it quite unuseful.

Is this correct (the manual of course says nothing about this), or is it an error/bug?

2) Next thing is that it's very hard to understand the log. It's full of acrynyms and such, and seems only intended for those who writes the software. Is there anybody who knows how to decode these messages?

3) It always complains about quantum to big, and wants me to consider a r2q change. Is this normal? Of course I cannot change the r2q (or have I missed somthing?), but what should I do? Does it affect the performance?

Would be nice to here from other owners of this device I you experience the same problem - or maybe from an 3COM technician if they read this.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
boddis
Occasional Visitor

Re: 3CRWER100-75 logging

3) I get the same complaints. Don't know if it's normal either.

Highlighted
Techno
Regular Advisor

In the case of the log, I found that using the Syslog feature is the best option, even if the router restarts, I still have my logs...

the rest of the issues such as the complicated error messages, it seems that this router is Linux based, and those messages can safely be ignored ...

Hope this helps.

The Tech Man Has Spoken....
The Tech Man Has Spoken....
Highlighted
connyj
Occasional Visitor

Very interesting! You say that the log is OK - if you sent it someware else. Don't look at the built in log. I must set up a Syslog server on a separate machine. That's not what an ordinary home user wants to do.

And if you see something in the log that warns you about things and tells you to change your settings you should ignore it? Seems counterintuitive, especially in a security product. Ignore warnings?

The product was simple never OK, by design, and now it's outdated. I have already replaced it with a D-link product and it works very well. And it even logs things. Not perfect, but at least useful.