Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3CRWER300-73 WAN port bug / problem...

Highlighted
allman
Occasional Visitor

3CRWER300-73 WAN port bug / problem...

Hi,

I just bought a 3CRWER300-73 and upgraded to latest firmware: 1.08.00 (23 Dec 2008 14:39:14) + reset to factory default before configuring it. It is connected to a Motorola surfboard SB5101E cable modem.

I discovered the following (really annoying) bug/problem:

If the 3Com router loses internet connection (cable modem goes offline, cable modem is reset, power shortage, you name it) the unit will not get an IP on the WAN port until the router is (one of the following)...

- cold started (power recycled)

- warm started (restart from web interface)

- internet IP is manually released and renewed using web interface

In other words, it requires unnecessary human interaction each time the internet connection disappeared for a moment or two. This is extremely annoying!

This is the 5th time I buy a 3Com router. Until now, I've been very satisfied and none of my previous routers had this problem. They all try to get a new IP on the WAN port and start using it right away as soon as it becomes available.

Allman

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Techno
Regular Advisor

Re: 3CRWER300-73 WAN port bug / problem...

Hi All Man,

You did not mention your ISP name, or where you are, in UK, Virgin being our ISP, they actually say it on their site, that their modems will not allow the access to the WAN as their modems are slower to pass the Public IP addresses to the router that the router is to ask for it.

this makes the modem give a local IP address to the router and unless you restart the 3com router after the modem is ready, it will not connect you to the web.

Try making the 3com restart after the Modem is possible to confirm if this is the issue, the blame is really in the Cable modems not being as fast as they used to be to pass the Public IPs through.

Hope this helps

The Tech Man Has Spoken....
The Tech Man Has Spoken....