1751979 Members
4727 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: AP sent a deauthentication request to client

Ascendor
Frequent Advisor

AP sent a deauthentication request to client

I am trying to debug an issue our clients have. Occasionally they drop the connection. To be precise, their device (in my current case, Apple iPhone) shows the connection symbol, but no data flow is happening. Whenever it happes, I see the following log entries on the respective access point:

AP sent a deauthentication request to client (mac='98:10:E8:xx:xx:xx') on interface (value='r1v2') using SSID (value='ssidxxx') with a reason code (value='Unspecified')

No other interesting log entries exist on the controllers or in system logs.  at the same time frame.

Does anyone have an idea why the access point might send a deauthentication request? Especially without giving a reason ("Unspecified")...

6 REPLIES 6
Ascendor
Frequent Advisor

Created support case: 5322887985 

rteglgaa
Occasional Advisor

We've seen this as well on a specific AP with a specific client (Lenovo laptop). Rebooting the AP solves the problem - at least for a while.

/Rasmus

Ascendor
Frequent Advisor

@rteglgaa wrote:

We've seen this as well on a specific AP with a specific client (Lenovo laptop). Rebooting the AP solves the problem - at least for a while.

/Rasmus

Thanks for your insight. We have Lenovo laptops in the environment as well - but we see the issue happening with iPhones.

Since it is also happening on a irregular basis (it comes and goes), it's difficult to say if reboots have any effect. How long did they help you until the issue re-appeared?

Edit: And I see it across all access points on the network.

Edit2: And one more thing I noticed: I actually see the access points sending deauthentication on BOTH radios (2.4GHz and 5Ghz) in the same second.

elliepet
Regular Visitor

Hello,

Did you resolve the issue?

We face the same problem with an MSM 775 Controller and 6.6.0.0-22530 firmware.

Thank you in advance

Ascendor
Frequent Advisor

@elliepet wrote:

Hello,

Did you resolve the issue?

We face the same problem with an MSM 775 Controller and 6.6.0.0-22530 firmware.

Thank you in advance

Hey @elliepet, sorry for the late reply. I have not solved the issue. I had a support ticket open with HPE. Their technicians explained that it's normal behaviour - it's just very unfortunate that the log entry doesn't state the reason for the deauth request.

I've solved quite some more issues on our WiFi infrastructure, which reduced the number of issues my clients have. This makes me believe the occasional log entries on deauthentication can really be ignored.

Cata1973
Occasional Visitor

I have the same issue , all Ap's disconnect the clients for about 4 sec every 10, 15 minutes :

Client (mac='6C:88:14:EC:59:18') has successfully authenticated using 802.11 authentication on interface (value='r2v2') using SSID (value='TV') 2020-05-29 08:49:18,086 AP received a deauthenticate request from client (mac='6C:88:14:EC:59:18') on interface (value='r2v2') using SSID (value='TV'). Reason code: (value='Unspecified'). Total number of clients: (value='0') 2020-05-29 08:49:14,747 AP sent a deauthentication request to client (mac='6C:88:14:EC:59:18') on interface (value='r2v2') using SSID (value='TV') with a reason code (value='Previous authentication no longer valid') 2020-05-29 08:49:14,484

My configuration is a MSM760 (6.6.8.1-23399) Enterprise Licenses, with 5 MSM560 (6.6.8.1-23399)