Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access Point at home

Highlighted
jane_32
Occasional Visitor

Access Point at home

Does the MSM controller blade now support Access Points at home, i.e. they can tunnel through the internet to the school ?.

What version do I need to upgrade to ?

Does anyone have experience with the provisioning on this can can help ?

We have the MSM with 40 APs so far....
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Fred!
Trusted Contributor

Re: Access Point at home

As a general statement, SW 5.3 and above supports managements and data tunnels as long as the firewalls allow them through.

It will be hard to detail exactly everything that needs to be done to make this work, but here are some background information over the supported fonctionality.

APs can discover controllers using L2 broadcast, DHCP, DNS or using the provisioning information (you configure the AP's initial connectivity by hand basically). L2 and DHCP are unlikely to work in your scenario. DNS or provisioning might be your best options.

Now, once the AP has discovered the MSM controller it will create a secure management tunnel to it and you should be able to centrally manage the APs from there.

Finally it all depend on what you want to do here, but the AP and controller supports backhauling the user traffic using a secure data tunnel as well (different from the management tunnel). This is a choice that you have on the VSC, if you want to deliver the traffic right off or if you want it to come back to the controller.
Highlighted
jane_32
Occasional Visitor

Fred Thata very useful. What protocol is the secure management tunnel using ?. IPSEC ?.

Does the data from the access point also go inside this secure tunnel ?.

I.e What protocols do I need to open up at the school (council actually) firewall to let the access point from the internet to teh school ?>

many thanks
Highlighted
Fred!
Trusted Contributor

Not it is not IPSec, the management tunnel protocol is based on OpenVPN.

However the data management tunnel is first a different tunnel and second built on a different technology

You will have to open up severals ports:

UDP Source and destination = 38212 (9544 hex): Discovery protocol the AP uses to find a service controller.

UDP Destination = 1194 (4AA hex): Management tunnel that is established between an AP and a service controller.

TCP Source and destination = 1194 (4AA hex): Software updates and certificate exchanges (for the management tunnel).

UDP Source and destination = 3001 (BB9 hex):
Client data tunnel.

You can find this information in the manual: http://cdn.procurve.com/training/Manuals/r531/MSM7xx-MCG-May09-5992-5929.pdf page 70.