Did you mean: 

Accessing internet from WAP-200 to WAP-200 bridge

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
JustAl
Occasional Contributor

Accessing internet from WAP-200 to WAP-200 bridge

Our park is in the process of setting up a wireless network. Our's is a simple setup and we do not utilize an access controller.

While we do have a long-term layout planned, we need to have the following setup as a temporary solution:

- DSL modem+wireless router (main router), located in the main building, that is the DHCP controller, static IP aaa.bbb.c.254

- Wireless router (router #2) that provides a wireless bridge to the main router (this is the temporary part) in a different building, static IP aaa.bbb.c.253 (within the DHCP range of the main router)

- WAP-200 #1 connected to an ethernet port of router #2, static IP aaa.bbb.c..11, default gateway is the main router IP

- WAP-200 #2 in another building, static IP aaa.bbb.c..12, default gateway is the main router IP

- A wireless bridge is established between the two WAP-200's.

When I plug into router #2, I can ping the main router and access the internet. However, when I plug into WAP-200 #2, I can not ping the main router nor access the internet. I can successfully ping WAP-200 #1 and router #2. I do plan to connect a 3rd router to WAP-200 #2 after I get the above working, but for now I am using a LAN cable to connect my laptop to WAP-200 #2.

In the documenation for the WAP-200's, it mentioned that the access controller is the DHCP server and is designated as the default gateway for the WAP-200's. Since the main router is the DHCP server, I used it's IP address as the default gateway. Maybe this is wrong???

I hope somebody can provide some insight on what I may have wrong in the above setup.

Our long-term plan is a slightly different layout, but we are not able to implement it yet:

- DSL modem+wireless router (main router) that is the DHCP controller, static IP aaa.bbb.c.254 - this modem+router will be locked in a weatherpoof metal cabinet outdoors (to allow access without entering the building with the phone line)

- Wireless router (router #2) connected to an ethernet port of the main router and is located in the main building

- WAP-200 #1 connected to an ethernet port of the main router

- WAP-200 #2 in another building

- Wireless router (router #3) that is connected via LAN cable to  WAP-200 #2

We may add additional WAP-200's to provide internet access to other buildings in the future.

Anyway, I would appreciate any and all assistance in helping me fix what is wrong with my current setup.

Thank you,

Al

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
JustAl
Occasional Contributor
Solution

Re: Accessing internet from WAP-200 to WAP-200 bridge

As it turns out, in the few minutes it took me to walk to the building housing WAP-200 #2, the DSL modem/router (the main router) apparently hung. The next day I went back to work on it some more and I was having problems accessing the main rounter directly from my laptop. After rebooting the main router, it is now working fine - I can access the internet when connected to WAP-200 #2 via a patch cable. Now to install wireless router #3 and connect it to WAP-200 #2. Hopefully there won't be any issues with that.

Al