1752588 Members
4358 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Alert by e-mail problem 3Com 3CRWDR101A-75

Preppens
Collector

Alert by e-mail problem 3Com 3CRWDR101A-75

Hi, my ADSL router times out when trying to send alert emails.

I'm logging via Syslog server and recieve this error:

Sep 18 21:10:54  3Com ADSL 11g[2865] <Info>: SMTP> Fail to send alert mail. Delay 10 seconds.

I've set up the "Alert by e-mail" like this:

Your email addess:myaddress@gmail.com

SMTP Server Address:smtp.gmail.com

User name:myusername

Password:mypassword

Thankful for any suggestions!

BR

/P

6 REPLIES 6
Preppens
Collector

Re: Alert by e-mail problem 3Com 3CRWDR101A-75

Anyone? Please?
tschaps
Valued Contributor

I don't have that 3com product, but I know that as a general matter, many things don't work with Gmail due to the high-security requirement - SSL authentication is required in order to send through the smtp.gmail.com server. If there are no settings there for that, it probably won't ever work for you. First thing to try is to use your whole Gmail address for the username, but that is not the problem here, I fear. 

One way I got around Gmail's SSL requirement recently  for a scan-to-email copier that didn't have SSL was to set up mail service on an underutilized server which could do the SSL required for Gmail, and then I set it to relay mail only from the IP address of the copier in question.

You may find talk of an alternate Gmail SMTP server that does not require the SSL, but as far as I can tell, that is no longer valid, I could not get that to work. 

Good luck. 

Preppens
Collector

Thank you very much tschaps for the answer.

Do you know any free emailservice that doesn't use SSL? I'm afraid I don't have any server to do it for me. :)

I've tried Yahoo mail, Hotmail and Gmail, none of them works.

Thanks!

/P

tschaps
Valued Contributor

Your best bet is the ISP you use to connect to the Internet - requiring SSL is a move against spam and botnets, so SSL encrypted authentication is about the only method those email providers you mention have to prevent their servers from being used for sending spam. Your ISP, however, can also authenticate you because you are sending through their network, so as long as you're sending from the location where the ISP's connection is located (i.e. home or work), most ISP's will still let you send regular SMTP authenticated with the email address they provided you. But you may have to ask them specially for those settings. Comcast requires SSL now for everything in my area, and I expect in the future, all ISPs will move that way. So this might be a temporary solution. Good luck. T
Preppens
Collector

Thanks again for the quick answer! I'll check with my ISP then!

BR

/P

thechust

thank you........