M and MSM Series
1748131 Members
3582 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Autonomous MSM 410 - RADIUS Wireless Client Authentication?

GDC
Occasional Visitor

Autonomous MSM 410 - RADIUS Wireless Client Authentication?

Hi all,

I have been working on trying to setup a standalone MSM 410 to use RADIUS Authentication instead of a pre-shared key.  So far I have been very unsuccessful.  Most of what I have read refers to using a controller so my first question is - is it possible to use RADIUS authentication for Wireless Clients on a standalone MSM 410?

What we are trying to achieve is that corporate users will authenticate to the Wireless using their Active Directory credentials.  We don't have a certificate authority and I've been trying to get it to work both without certificates between the MSM 410 and the NPS (Win2k8 R2) and with certificates between the MSM 410 and the NPS (self-signed certs).

In no situation does it appear I have come even close.... so now I'm doubting my sanity and just need to confirm if this is possible on the MSM 410.

2 REPLIES 2
JB242
Visitor

Yeah, it works fine. Verify your radius server first.  Use something like ntradping to test.

GDC
Occasional Visitor

Thanks JB242, glad to see I'm not entirely insane.

I have dropped the RADIUS server down to basics

Connection request policy: use windows authentication for all users

Network policies: Windows Group (blah), Client Friendly Name (WAP)*

* this is the client friendly name as defined in Windows 2008 NPS RADIUS Clients.

Selected authentication is MS-CHAPv2 / MS-CHAPv1 / CHAP / PAP

I am using these same settings (with a different "client friendly name") for other RADIUS systems and they works fine.

The RADIUS client is the MSM IP address.

Does this all sound legit so far?