108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Bad reception on new E-MSM466

SOLVED
Go to solution
Naipaul
Occasional Contributor

Bad reception on new E-MSM466

I have just configured a HP E-MSM466 and hoping it would speed up our network in the office and at the same time provide longer range than the previous D-Link DWL-G700AP. 

My problem is that I get better reception from my old D-link than my new MSM466. 3-5 meters away from the AP is fine, but when I walk around in the office the network drops and disappears (around 10 meters away) for example: when I enter an other room within the office. D-link has strangely better reception.

The AP is hanging down from the roof with no objects in the way, no doors and no walls. I have tried with different computers and smartphones.

The MSM466 is set to maximum power 25dBi. Have I missed to configure anything or is it something wrong with my MSM466?

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
Stephen Swain
Frequent Advisor

Just to confirm, you have the new MSM model with the 6 external antennas?

The MSM466 I think is external antenna only, it doesn't have internal. Can you check the model number?

Naipaul
Occasional Contributor

Yes it is the one with 6 external "antennas" or dots. Model #J9622A

DougB-CCCP
Frequent Advisor

That access point actually requires external antennas - what you see are merely the connectors that you screw the antennas to. You'd need something like a J9659A or a pair of J9171A to utilize the AP properly.
----------------
HP ASE (Mobility), Infrastructure Engineer
BGraham_1
Frequent Advisor

Just as an added note, the MSM422s had internal antennas AND connectors for external antennas. The MSM466 have the connectors for external antennas ONLY (no internal antennas). This migh cause some confusion if you are familiar with the previous MSM AP line.

Bob

Stephen Swain
Frequent Advisor

Maybe you could swap the 466 for a 460 - talk to your supplier. The 460 has internal antennas.

Regards

Steve.

Naipaul
Occasional Contributor
Solution

Problem solved, the antennas that I'd used was not optimized for the product or actually whey where more or less broken. Now the MSM-466 works perfectly and the range is outstanding. Thanks for all the ones that engaged in this thread.