Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bonjour (mDNS) pooping out after a time

Highlighted
tschaps
Valued Contributor

Bonjour (mDNS) pooping out after a time

Among the issues I am having with my few eMSM430 APs (on my way to almost 70 by the time I am done) is the tendency to stop forwarding multicast DNS (also known as Bonjour) packets on my two VLANs after a seemingly random amount of time, perhaps days or hours. I have the APs in autonomous mode until the new core switch and 765 controller arrives (on backorder, thanks for that, HP). In any case, this is a medium-sized high school, and we use Bonjour mainly for printing to (surprise surprise) our many HP laserjets, but also for locating some other services. 

Users on both VSC's have experienced this. Typically what I do to get them back on track without bumping too many people off is to login to the web client, go to VSC-> SSID name of whatever SSID is reporting the problem, and clearing the  "broadcast filtering" checkbox, saving changes, then checking the same box and saving changes again. Users get dropped for a few seconds, but much shorter than a full restart. In any case, I've never had this experience with APs before, not even HP V-M200s. I have another post here from last week about losing full network access, which these are also doing from time to time - happens to Macs, Windows, and Linux, IP address from DHCP is good, but no IP traffic comes through. On Macs, putting to sleep and waking up fixes it, but on Windows/Linux, only rebooting the MSM430 seems to solve that problem for a time. Maybe related to the Multicast DNS issue. 

Thanks for any ideas. 

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
bcoumerilh
Occasional Visitor

Re: Bonjour (mDNS) pooping out after a time

Did you ever get any resolution on this? We are experiancing the same thing...... Random drop of Bonjour (mDNS)

Highlighted
tschaps
Valued Contributor

Re: Bonjour (mDNS) pooping out after a time

That particular problem only happened in autonomous mode. Shortly after that, we got our controllers installed and started mainly using controlled APs. That particular problem dried up, but the APs I was testing at the time were all hooked up to the same core switch, which developed other issues. Reseating that particular module in the core switch seemed to solve those problems, which were also connectivity related, so that may also have been the problem with Bonjour. Sorry no further info.